USB Adapters

tonymaclennan

i have just purchased a high speed USB Hub, but when plugging it in and tried using it for a USB Network Card i have purchased it said that not enough power was available to operate the USB network Card, also, it said that the High Speed USB was running on a low spped USB device.
Can somebody please tell me the name of a connector that will allow me to plug the USB network Card in to another port on my laptop, for example the port some mouses plug in to (I have a USB mouse)?

thanks

Yeti

VIP Member
1) does the USB network card work plugged directly into the comp?
2) is the USB hub externally powered?

tonymaclennan

1) does the USB network card work plugged directly into the comp?
Havn't tried. I cant use the laptop mouse due to other trouble I had a bit back so use the mouse in there. Its not easy working without a mouse.

2) is the USB hub externally powered?
I'm not to sure about that. It is ebay item 5749535114 but dosn't say on the auction.

Last edited:

Yeti

VIP Member
Havn't tried. I cant use the laptop mouse due to other trouble I had a bit back so use the mouse in there. Its not easy working without a mouse.
Doesn't the laptop have an integrated device like a touchpad?

I'm not to sure about that. It is ebay item 5749535114 but dosn't say on the auction.
I though you said you purchased it and tried it :confused:

tonymaclennan

Doesn't the laptop have an integrated device like a touchpad?
It does, but obviously you dont remember a post of mine about 2 months ago. My Laptop would not load up and it turned out to be a problem with the mouse so I had to disbale it with some help from this forum.

I though you said you purchased it and tried it
That item has ended. I have purchased it and it has been delivered already I was just referring you to the auction I won.

Yeti

VIP Member
It does, but obviously you dont remember a post of mine about 2 months ago.
Sorry, even if I did read that post I probably wouldn't remember it (damn alcohol kills the brain cells ;))

From looking at the ebay listing, I don't think that it is externally powered, which I think is your problem with trying to get the network adapter to work. I think you might have to get something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-112-300&depa=0
or you could get a PCMCIA network card

tonymaclennan

Yeti said:
Sorry, even if I did read that post I probably wouldn't remember it (damn alcohol kills the brain cells ;))

From looking at the ebay listing, I don't think that it is externally powered, which I think is your problem with trying to get the network adapter to work. I think you might have to get something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-112-300&depa=0
or you could get a PCMCIA network card

thanks.
I have just tried it without the USB Hub and it worked fine. I found an adapter for my mouse to plug it in to another port, a round one. Is there an adapter I can buy to convert this port to a USB?

<<seS>>Saint

Now I know this may be a stupid question but, do you USB 2.0 installed. Because that will case a error of running to slow if it's 1.1.

Yeti

VIP Member
I have just tried it without the USB Hub and it worked fine. I found an adapter for my mouse to plug it in to another port, a round one. Is there an adapter I can buy to convert this port to a USB?
I don't understand your question. You said you found an adapter for your mouse - I'm assuming its a PS2 to USB adapter - so what do port do you want to buy an adapter for?

tonymaclennan

Right, I have found an adapter for the mouse but I also wanted a USB port for other devices such as printer or USB stick without the need of switing between devices and disconnecting each time.

Yeti

VIP Member
Alright here's the options:
1) if you just have one USB port and you want to run several USB devices including the network adapter, you'll need an externally powered USB hub
2) if you have 2 or more ports you can use the self-powered USB hub for devices like the mouse, printer, etc, and the other port for the network adapter
3) you could buy a PCMCIA network card to use instead of the USB adapter