USB device descriptor request failed.

mcnuggets

Hey guys. I have this issue where Windows 10 keeps playing that stupid device disconnecting chime and coming up with a device not recognised error. Everything seems to be working fine and I cannot find what the actual problem is. I have managed to find in device manager when the chime plays I get a new USB device show up with the USB device descriptor request failed. Currently I have only my mouse and keyboard plugged into the USB slots so what this other device is that is causing an error I have no idea. I am starting to get a little worried that my motherboard is having issues as its now a few years old. Can someone offer me a little advice please. Cheers

My motherboard is a ASROCK Z77 Performance.
OS is Windows 10

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Next step would be to disconnect front panel connectors to see if it something with the front ports. If it still makes the noise, you seem to have an issue with motherboard USB ports. Check to see if anything is stuck inside the ports.

Darren

Staff member
Tried BIOS flash? If that doesn't work try to open up device manager and manually right click and uninstall every single entry under USB devices. Reboot and let Windows 10 install everything automatically again.

My guess is Windows 10 is trying to force the wrong driver on a specific piece of hardware and constantly retrying it when it fails. I've seen similar issues at work, particularly laptops but not unheard of on desktops. You usually just gotta mess with various drivers and stuff to get it to autodetect correctly and after that it's fine.

Does it do it in safe mode? Tested mouse and KB on other computers?