USB devices and Windows 7

krimson_king

It's been a while since I've been here, and I've kind of fallen off of the technology radar over the past few years. Anyway I'm having an issue that I'm not sure how to resolve. For starters, I have a Samsung NP305E7A-A02US running Windows 7 64-bit. My iPod Shuffle is perfectly recognizable and was almost instantaneously ready the first time I plugged it in. When I tried to connect my Nikon D2X, I got nothing. The computer did not recognize any new device, nor did it try to install any drivers. I looked into it and apparently, from Microsoft, there is no required installation or tinkering to get it to work; it should just plug and play. As a workaround, I ordered a generic card reader. Guess what; it doesn't work either. I have emailed the manufacturer of the card reader and am awaiting a response.

Maybe somebody has input in the meantime? I have never had a problem with my camera working on other systems, and it has always been plug and play. This is really frustrating as you can imagine because I have absolutely no way to retrieve these images. Halp!

strollin

Did you try a different USB port? Maybe the one you plugged into has a problem. I haven't had issues with any of the USB items I've plugged in to my various Win 7 machines.

krimson_king

Yes, I've tried all ports. The card reader's power indicator is red when plugged in, and I imagine it is supposed to be green, so I at least know it's connected.

I heard back from the seller and they said it's plug and play for all OSs. Their only solution was to ship me a new one, which I don't think will change anything.

Last edited:

morefanz88

In my cpu their are three usb ports,in that two are not working , suggest any idea, whether i want to change or shall i get external usb ports ?

Is it possible that the other hardware you are trying to add is 32 bit, which may the problem. You could try a external port (plug into PCI-e small slot).This may work- but no guarrantees.

Terry

krimson_king

I included in my email to the seller that I'm running 64-bit and he said it shouldn't matter. Also Microsoft is claiming on their website that a Nikon D2X is directly compatible with 64-bit and yet it's not working. On a side note I did have to install some additional drivers after installing Windows 7 and I'm wondering if I am missing something, but like I said my iPod works no problem, along with a Sony jump drive I have.