USB External Hard Drive not being recognised

Enteprise NX01

Hi All

I have a desktop PC running Windows XP and when I got in from work this afternoon the USB External Hard drive stopped appearing in " My Computer" I have looked through the Device Manager and when ever I unplug and re connect the cable it shows a listing for a unknown USB Device and shows it with " USB Device not recognised" its a Western Digital Model No WDBACW0020HBK-UESN 2TB Drive.

I've already tried uninstalling the unknown USB Device from Device Manager with the cable unplugged and re connecting it once booted and ive tried uninstalling the USB root hubs and allowing them to re install after a reboot and even a system restore but it still comes up with the same thing.

Please can anyone help me as ive got a lot of important stuff on the drive I cant access ?

Many Thanks in advance

Jon

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Funny username. I've been on an Enterprise kick lately. Only have a few more episodes left in the series.

Anyway, it's possible that the enclosure went bad. You can try breaking the enclosure open and directly connecting it to your computer.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Have you tryed to access the drive without that enclosure by using cables and adapter?
Such as:
high-speed-hdd-converter-adapter-kit-cable.jpg