USB Formatting Issue

aviation_man

Hey all I found an 8gb Sandisk micro cruzer and I stuck it in my computer and it said to reformat. So I did, and it came up with an error.
So I tried formatting it using DiskPart. Selected the USB drive, and tried to use the command "CLEAN" it came up with an error " The semaphore timout period has expired. See event log"
So I went to event log and it gave me:
Failed to open device \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume8. Error code: 5@020A0019

And also, under details it gave me:

Virtual Disk Service:

EventID 8
[Qualifiers] 49664
Level 2
Task 0
Keywords: 0x80000000000000
EventRecordID: 3904
Channel: System

Anybody know how I can format this flash drive or any third party application that I can use?
Thanks.

Last edited:

wildbill

I bought a 4 gig sd card new and within 4 months, my camera said it needed formatted. Turned out it was no good. So that's where your at possibly, fried memory stick. It happens.

bigrich0086

the drive could of taken a nice jolt while it was lost.

Also did you put any drive encrpytion on it which denys access to the drive even it you try to format.

Also if you have a windows cd boot off that and see if it sees the flash drive during isntall.

And or run the command promt and type this in

format [drive:] [/q] [/fs:file-system]
drive: Specifies the drive to format.
/q Performs a quick format.
/fs:file-system Specifies the file system to use (FAT, FAT32, or NTFS)

SO type in format c: /q. But be sure you have the right drive letter in there for the flash drive.

aviation_man

the drive could of taken a nice jolt while it was lost.

Also did you put any drive encrpytion on it which denys access to the drive even it you try to format.

Also if you have a windows cd boot off that and see if it sees the flash drive during isntall.

And or run the command promt and type this in

format [drive:] [/q] [/fs:file-system]
drive: Specifies the drive to format.
/q Performs a quick format.
/fs:file-system Specifies the file system to use (FAT, FAT32, or NTFS)

SO type in format c: /q. But be sure you have the right drive letter in there for the flash drive.

Ok I'll try the boot later.

Nope no encryption

I tried that command prompt and it gave me:
Access Denied, you do not have sufficient privileges.
You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

EDIT: hold on..

bigrich0086

your user account might not have FULL privileges. Try booting into safe mode into Admin account and run the command.

aviation_man

bigrich0086

did you check the flash drive for a manual lock switch on the side. some have this as a safety so nothing is deleted when in lock position

kimsland

Sorry I didn't read page 2 here on this thread
That had already been covered

You could try those tools on another computer, with your flash drive in as well (sometimes works, as there may be a registry error or something)

aviation_man

Sorry I didn't read page 2 here on this thread
That had already been covered

You could try those tools on another computer, with your flash drive in as well (sometimes works, as there may be a registry error or something)

I tried it on an XP machine and I got the same results as my W7 machine.
Anything else I can try? It says that the drive is 16MB, but it's 4gb. I can't access it through Windows Explorer or anything. :mad: