usb mouse not recognized

mezusmo

Hi

i bought a usb sweex mouse and my laptop is saying device not recognized.I have hp compaq nc6400.windows xp .Do i need to down load a specific driver?

any help is much appreciated,thanks

neg

Hi

i bought a usb sweex mouse and my laptop is saying device not recognized.I have hp compaq nc6400.windows xp .Do i need to down load a specific driver?

any help is much appreciated,thanks
Usually optical products come with instructions which have a link to the drivers. It's also possible that Windows didn't install the drivers correctly.

I would go on the manufacturer's website for the newest, most updated drivers.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
A usb mouse doesn't need any drivers to work correctly. Either the mouse is bad or there is something wrong with the usb ports. Have you tried the mouse in different ports?

mezusmo

Usually optical products come with instructions which have a link to the drivers. It's also possible that Windows didn't install the drivers correctly.

I would go on the manufacturer's website for the newest, most updated drivers.

Thank you i will visit their website.

mezusmo

A usb mouse doesn't need any drivers to work correctly. Either the mouse is bad or there is something wrong with the usb ports. Have you tried the mouse in different ports?

Yes i tried all the ports it still says device not recognized.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
This has nothing to do with drivers. As I said, its either the mouse is bad or something is wrong with the usb ports. Does the mouse work in another computer? If so, then you know its usb ports. If not, then you know its the mouse.

mezusmo

This has nothing to do with drivers. As I said, its either the mouse is bad or something is wrong with the usb ports. Does the mouse work in another computer? If so, then you know its usb ports. If not, then you know its the mouse.

If the was something wrong with the usb port i assume no usb devices would work?I have other usb devices working perfectly and the mouse is brand new.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just because its brand new doesn't mean its not working correctly... Try it in another computer and see what happens.

mezusmo

I tried the mouse on another computer and it works.So if my other usb devices work i can assume my usb ports are working fine and also the mouse is working fine on another computer.When i was troubleshooting it again it said that maybe my computer needs some software other than a driver.I visited the sweex website and on the mouse product i bought it says no sofware or driver available for download,i'm really at odds to what the problem could be now.could it be possible that i need a software of some kind?

(it is now saying on a pop up that one of the usb devices has malfunctioned)

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As I said, there is no additional software required to get the basic use out of a mouse. Since the mouse seems to be okay, I can only assume there may be some issue with your system. Do you have any front usb ports that you can try? Can we get some sort of background on what computer you have? Did you have previous mouse that worked okay?

mezusmo

As I said, there is no additional software required to get the basic use out of a mouse. Since the mouse seems to be okay, I can only assume there may be some issue with your system. Do you have any front usb ports that you can try? Can we get some sort of background on what computer you have? Did you have previous mouse that worked okay?

I have no usb front ports.i was using the touch pad built in mouse but its not working properly.My computer is a hp compaq nc6400 and i'm using windows xp.Is there something like a system reboot i can do that might help?thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, didn't realize this was a laptop. A reinstall of windows may fix this but not always.

AMAXANG GAMES

The same happened with my keyboard which I bought few months ago. I guess there is something wrong with my keyboard since pen drive and mouse works when connected in the same USB port.

Okedokey

Go to device manager, uninstall all USB drivers from there (right click - uninstall). Do it for all ports. Restart computer. Connect mouse.