Usb Networking card

IknowLITTLE

Hi, I just got an internet upgrade at my house and I'm a little sad to say that its working better everywhere except for my room. My current setup is running a Ethernet cable from my desktop to my laptop and bridging the connections on the laptop's end to get internet to my desktop. Well this was working fine until we upgraded and got a new router/modem.
So windows is telling me its detected an ip address conflict about every half hour on both computers, (it dc's for about 10 sec and reconnects) the laptop and the desktop. My old router didn't mind my current setup but I guess its time to get a network adapter (it has to be usb because I have no room in my case). Now in the past all of the adapters i tried were worse than just doing it the way I have it now so I just kept it this way. But now all of the computers in my house are getting the correct 30 down 5 up but I'm only getting 20 down 5 up ):

So now I ask, What is a good usb network adapter for my router/modem?

Ps. Signal strength isn't an issue, and both my laptop and desktop are running windows 7.

Here Is the error message: http://www.webune.com/forums/web/img/webune-com/201001/30p-0-win7-address-conflict.gif
Here is my router/modem: http://www.arrisi.com/products/product.asp?id=74

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How does the laptop get internet? Wireless? If you already have a ethernet cable in the room you can buy a cheap switch and have both devices attached without having the laptop on all the time.

IknowLITTLE

Yes the laptop gets internet wirelessly. A switch? elaborate please, I'm clueless ahahaha. And with said switch what would be the point in having the laptop plugged into it? Was that you assuming it didn't get wifi? I'm lost..

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Since the laptop is connected wirelessly, the switch idea won't work. Since you have a new modem/router setup what I would do is just start from scratch and reset it all back up and see if that works. It seems somehow both machines are being assigned the same IP address and thats why you are getting that error message.

IknowLITTLE

Honestly even if it did stop giving me the ip error I'm still getting 10mb less than I should be. Will a usb network adapter not provide me with speeds this high or what?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can try a usb adapter, can't guarantee the signal strength though. So you have no open pci slots?

IknowLITTLE

Well it is open, just my gtx 560 is over top of it so I cant fit something in there. Do you know which usb one I should get? does it matter? I have a crappy rosewill one that I got for $10 and it gets decent signal. It give me really bad speed but it says the strength is ok so I was assuming that it was just the device.

IknowLITTLE

Sorry to double post but nothing? Are all usb adapters the same? Are their better or worse ones? Just a little update, now when I go to use the crappy adapter I have its telling me I have limited access to the internet..

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well a cheap adapter won't cut it. You will need one that has an antennae on it. Where do you get your parts from?

IknowLITTLE

Thats the thing, it has a router built in or some garbage.. I asked the guy who installed it if I should invest in a router and he replied with "that things actually pretty good" so I don't know what to do..