USB On-the-Go standard

aim:)

Hi!
I'm new to the forum. I decided to write as I need an immediate help. I am going on holidays soon and I am taking my digital camera with me (Canon A95). Th eproblem is that I want to buy a portable minidisc HD 30 GB where I could download and store pictures taken with my camera as i do not want to take several CompacFlash cards. I heard there is a USB standard called USB OTG (on-the-go) which allows a camera to communicate directly with your minidisc without a computer? My questions are:
-how does it works? as you cannot normally connect a digi camera to a minidisc because a cable which is sold with a camera does not fit-it can only communicate with your computer - someone told me in a computer shop. But I read that OTG standard is more advanced, are any special cables or adapters needed then?
- wil my camera communicate with USB 2.0 at all (the producer of my camera wrote that he cannot guarantee proper communication of the camera with USB 2.0, why????? is it too old? I only bought the camera a couple of months ago?)
I would appreciate any replies.
Cheers,
aim :)