USB ports not working - Can't access BIOS

jl1

Hey - I tried searching on this and found nothing that helped. I have a Gateway SX2865 desktop on which the USB ports have stopped working. Once in a while I'll get the "chime" when plugging in, but it's followed immediately by a 2nd chime (indicating a disconnect). I've checked the USBs in Device Manager: no warning marks, and each USB component has the latest drivers. When I try to reboot and access BIOS to ensure the USBs are enabled, I'm always taken to my password screen, then my desktop. I've tried F1, F2, F10 and delete on start up with no luck on getting to the BIOS. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using a usb keyboard? If so, thats probably why you can't access the bios. Since usb's aren't working then no keystroke will access bios. Find a ps/2 keyboard and access bios with it. I believe you hit the del key on that model to access bios.

jl1

Hi, John - Thanks for the reply. I just tried your suggestion with negative results. Neither a ps/2 KB or mouse gave any response, even after a few reboots. I WAS able to plug my USB mouse into every USB port (6 in back, 2 in front), and in worked in all of them. So I tried my phone, and was able to connect and move photos from the phone to the computer. When I plug in my tablet, I get no chime from the desktop - not even a light on the tablet indicating that it's charging, and no connection. So I guess it's the tablet, not the desktop. The tablet is a dell venue 8 pro, for what it's worth. There's a bunch of video & photos on it so the memory is almost nil - that's why I want to load that stuff onto the desktop. Any thoughts? Thanks again, John.

jl1

Thanks, John - sorry for the late reply. Turns out it was the usb port on the tablet. I guess it's a real problem on these dell venues. The desktop usb ports check out ok with other devices. Now I'm on a mission to see what I can do about the tablet. Won't connect or charge, and it won't let me restore on battery power alone. I knew we were gonna have trouble when they invented the first big copy machine!