USB problems

Xpire

Hi guys,

I've got a Kingston Data Traveller - 8GBs. I've had it for a while, but today i tried to copy a 4GB or bigger file onto the usb, and it said the destination was full, even though it wasnt.

I then tried formatting it, and it still didnt work :mad:.

I've tried copying smaller files, like between 0-3.8gbs, and they work so far. Haven't been able to find any other files to test it with.

I've also tried copying a number of files that add up to under the capacity of the usb, which is around 7.5gbs. This still worked though.... wierd..

Anyone know whats going on?

jamesnorman93

Hi guys,

I've got a Kingston Data Traveller - 8GBs. I've had it for a while, but today i tried to copy a 4GB or bigger file onto the usb, and it said the destination was full, even though it wasnt.

I then tried formatting it, and it still didnt work :mad:.

I've tried copying smaller files, like between 0-3.8gbs, and they work so far. Haven't been able to find any other files to test it with.

I've also tried copying a number of files that add up to under the capacity of the usb, which is around 7.5gbs. This still worked though.... wierd..

Anyone know whats going on?
1. is it only on a certain computer?
2. on vista or xp?

Xpire

I doubt it, it's been over 9 months now.

Why does it let me copy over multiple files up to 8gbs, but not single files over 4gbs ?

=\

Anyone else have an idea?

jamesnorman93

Why does it let me copy over multiple files up to 8gbs, but not single files over 4gbs?
I think it is buffer or something, I don't have a clue what it is called but it affects how much you can transfer in one file I think... anyway, get other opinions ;)

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Generally all flash drives are formatted as FAT32, and FAT32 only supports file sizes up to 4GB. This happened to me once - I had +10GB free space on my portable HD (formatted as FAT32) but when I tried to copy a 4.7GB DVD image on it, it said the drive was full. Your only options are to split the file up (AFAIK WinRAR can do that), or convert the drive to NTFS / backup all the data on it and format it as NTFS.

To convert a drive to NTFS:
Go to start menu > run, type in cmd, and the command prompt should come up.
Type in CONVERT E: /FS:NTFS /X /NoSecurity (replace E with the letter of your flash drive)

And before you do that, I would recommend you back up all the data on the drive, just in case something does go wrong.

Last edited:

netrick

Maybe it is formatted in a FAT file type which has the 4GB per file size limitation.

Edit: hackapelite posted as I was writing. You have to be quick around here!

Last edited:

jamesnorman93

Maybe it is formatted in a FAT file type which has the 4GB per file size limitation.

Edit: hackapelite posted as I was writing. You have to be quick around here!
that is anoying... I knew that but for some reason it never crossed my mind :D
it's a good thing there are clever people around here :)

EDIT: this also solves my 32GB USB thumbdrive's problem :D (I got this thumbdrive off ebay for $60AUD by the way :D:D:D)

Last edited:

jdbennet

FAT and FAT32 have small filesize limits. Reformat to NTFS.

If you intend to use it just with XP/Vista then you wont notice any difference, otherwise other operating systems may not be ablt to use it.