USB Sticks getting slow speeds?

H_L

Hey guys, just looking at some USB sticks either 256gb or above that are quite fast. I’ve got plenty of usb sticks 64gb and 128gb expecting them to be reasonably quick with file transfer but in real world tests I’m getting slow speeds seeing they are usb 3 in a usb 3 port.

Some state 150MB/s but I always get well under 100 or am I doing something wrong?

Is there any that will do 150MB/s and above in a real world file transfer? Like the sandisk that state 380MB/s?

I’m always copying music (.wav files) to the drive back and forth….. gigs and gigs of files.

I need options :)

cheers

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Burst speed maybe but I highly doubt you will get a sustained read/write speed that high when copying gigs and gigs of files.

beers

Staff member
Which specific sticks? Are you referring to read speed, or write speed? They are typically very different things regarding USB sticks.

H_L

I’ve tried these and some others and I doubt my computer is the bottle neck.
SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0
USB-C/USB Dual USB Drive 3.1 but states USB 3.0 on the packet
SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0

I’m not after ludicrous speeds (ludicrous would be sweet haha) but something that is a lot faster.

I was thinking of a USB SSD but physical size is a deterrent as my laptop and desktop the ports are close together and 2 probably wont fit side by side. I’m a dj/producer so I do travel a lot too but the USB SSD is a little big sticking out of my decks unless there’s a really compact version???
OR a SilverStone SST-MS09 M.2 SATA External SSD Enclosure with USB 3.1 may work??????????

Thanks guys for your input :)