USB trouble

bettagetyonikes

My usb ports aren't working. If i plug something in it does not even turn it on. I don't think there switched on or something. I already tried to reinstall them. Anyone know how to solve the problem, or even know what the problem is? Thanks in advance.

Geoff

VIP Member
i think there is not enough power supply.
That doesn't make any sense at all...

Betta, did you build the computer yourself? Lots of times the USB headers can be installed wrong, which could be the reason you're having problems.

bettagetyonikes

[-0MEGA-];741676 said:
That doesn't make any sense at all...

Betta, did you build the computer yourself? Lots of times the USB headers can be installed wrong, which could be the reason you're having problems.

No its an hp a712n. I put in a new video card and new ram though. i already tried reformatting and that didn't work. and what is it that i should change in my bios?

paratwa

Try whats on the following link. It is from HP's help page on usb.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph05956&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=435781&dlc=en&lang=en#N684

excerpt from that page

If the USB device is missing, double-click the USB Root Hub, click the Power tab, and then click Power Properties (if it is shown). The available ports and power usage is shown. If the displayed power is over 500mA, remove the devices and use a powered HUB. To check the properties of a HUB double-click HUB and the HUB information window will open.

paratwa

Still no luck. Could it be the fact that my comp isn't in a surge protector and maybe a storm could have fried my ports or my motherboard?

If you had gotten enough voltage to take out your USB ports, you would have fried the whole motherboard, so I do not think that is the problem.

bettagetyonikes

Ok. I just tried reinstalling the motherboard and it still doesn't work. I'm all out of ideas, so i think i might have to go to geek squad or something.:(

way2evil

guys i live down the road from betta, do you think it could be a psu problem? i know he has a nvidia bfgforce 6200 and i have no idea how much juice that could use but im guessing not much. i think he added ram too. i tried doing a ton of stuff but i am going to be looking at it again tommorrow. i will look at the ports for physical damage and how can i check if it is getting enough juice?

leSHok

I bought an orion 585watt PSU off tigerdirect which was pretty cheap and I have been using this computer for 6 months with it running the computer like 3-4 days at a time. Check it out on tigerdirect or newegg.