USB Wireless adapter...so many choices??

dixierose

I want to set up a 6 year old Dell in my bedroom via USB wireless adapter. The main PC is hardwired to internet connection then has a wireless D-Link router for 2 laptops. I am seeing USB wireless adapters any where from 14.00 to 60.00, I don't know which to get. I want the best internet connection possible. The main PC will be about 12feet from the one I am trying to set up. Would appreciate any info. Thanks

Macnamara_Jack

Its probably best to get one of the well known brands e.g belkin/linksys/net gear. make sure you get one with the "n" standard. e.g. "802.11n" as these are the best and fastest at the moment.

I recently bought a Dynamode one for around £12, and it does the job okay although I have found it dropping connection now and again, which is something im trying to sort at the moment. Actually as i write this im thinking i havent noticed it drop in the last few days.

Generally i think once yiou get to around 30/40 its not worth spending up to the 60 amount as i dont think you will notice much of a difference.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The main PC will be about 12feet from the one I am trying to set up.

The desktop pc has nothing to do with how you want to connect this one up. How far away is the router gonna be from the computer that you want to use this usb wireless adapter for internet? Are there any obstacles like walls or anything metal in between router and computer? Is this dell you want to set up a laptop or desktop?

dixierose

It's a 6 year old Dell desktop. The router is in the master bedroom and I want to set up the Dell desktop in the bedroom next to the master bedroom so there is a wall between them. The connection needs to be quite stable because if the connection drops while I am uploading a work related medical report then I will lose that report.

dixierose

Thanks everyone for their input. Johnb35, a dropped signal is what I was worried about, so I believe I will go with the PCI wireless card. I think I can do this myself :rolleyes:. Thanks for the tip about routers, I believe mine is a D-Link...might just have to upgrade my router also. My internet connection isn't the greatest to begin with so I need the best there is. :D