Use my home IP on myy laptop outside??

Dan03

Ive been trying this for 2 weeks or more now and I still cant get it done!! All I need is to access my home computers IP address from my laptop when Im not at home. For example if I go to France for a weekend I can still access the internet through my UK ip address. Also I need to use software with the UK IP address not just web browsers.

If anyone can suggest an easy way to do this please let me know. Ive tried windows VPN setup but its not working and for 2 weeks I havent been able to get it to work either. :(

Dan03

This is what I am thinking, I managed to setup a ssh tunnel with openssh/cygwin and it works on the lan but when I try to login from outside it cant connect and times out. Same as what happens with the windows vpn actually...

None of the ssh server setup tutorials ever mentioned that i needed to open any ports so i assumed they didnt need it, is that right? also when I log in from the remote computer I use the ip of the host that i get from www.whatsmyipaddress.com, this is the right number correct?

typhoonblue

build a proxy in your home computer, it can be vpn or ssh or socket5 ... , and then you connect to your proxy to surfer internet from outside by laptop

Dan03

Yeah, actually I think I have set up all of these correctly that i know of but for some reason no matter what i use I cant get any outside computers to connect to it, although local computers can connect. I really have no idea why this is, any suggestions? Ive tried opening the ports on the router but still not working unless i did it wrong somehow.

Btw, the IP I should connect to from my laptop is the same as the one shown in www.whatismyipaddress.com? No ports attached?

The router is a Zycel P-660HW-T1 v2.

Last edited: