Use SD card as RAM?! :S

Jon

hi,

i have a card reader on my laptop so i was wondering if i could use a 512mb SD card as RAM for the computer?

this could be a really stupid question, but ive heard of things like this so im just wondering if it is possible.

thanks.

Archangel

VIP Member
no, you cant, a SD card is Flash memory, Ram however is Random acces memory. its 2 completely differnt types :)

Bl00dFox

No but I think Vista has some features which allow you to use Flash drives to reduce your page file...

The_Other_One

VIP Member
You could put your swap file on the flash drive and use it that way ;) But flash memory is different than RAM, a good bit slower too.

Geoff

VIP Member
No, it cant be done. An SD Card and the SD interface is much slower then actual RAM.

No but I think Vista has some features which allow you to use Flash drives to reduce your page file...
Yes, in Vista you can use a flash drive to increase performance by having it used as a type of high-speed page file.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];573533 said:
Yes, in Vista you can use a flash drive to increase performance by having it used as a type of high-speed page file.

Um, like I said you can do this in XP, and you should be able to do it in even older ones too :rolleyes: I didn't actually configure it for my laptop because the card reader on it's VERY bad. When accessed, the whole computer lags very bad. It doesn't do this with my other readers(yes, even on this laptop) Strange, huh?

Last edited: