USED COMPUTER

jl1

Good Afternoon All,
I recently purchased a used Dell Latitude e5440 laptop. I know many (most) would say this is not a wise move from a security standpoint, but I simply could not afford the expense of a new laptop right now. The unit appears very sound and operates as it should - no problems at all. I've installed and run Malwarebytes and Adaware (and super anti spyware, for what that's worth), and everything is clean. My question is, is it possible for the seller to have installed evil stuff like keystroke virus, webcam activator, etc.? And are there any extra steps (other than anti virus protection) that I should take to protect myself? I greatly appreciate the help!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What operating system is it running? You can always wipe the drive and reinstall windows. Who did you buy it from?

jl1

Hey there JB - long time! The operating system is windows 10; hate to admit it, but I picked it up on craigslist. I have no indication that the seller (former electronics store owner) is anything but OK, but you never know...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Since its windows 10 you can easily wipe the drive and reinstall windows. Just download the iso for USB or DVD here.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download the tool, have it create the iso for usb or DVD and then boot to it, have it wipe all the partitions and set it up how you want and install windows. It will automatically activate when it gets to the desktop.

jl1

Thank you John. I know I'd feel more comfortable doing this. Just signing into Amazon could be vulnerable, much less banking.

beers

Staff member
I'd just wipe it from the beginning, then you don't have to guess.

As per John you can run the USB installer thing for Windows. That laptop is old enough it should have all of the drivers out of the box.

I think it would be safe with the virus scan, but am no expert. I put tape over the laptop cam.

Beggars can't be choosers. No need to make excuses. If you got a low budget just do the best you can. Good luck!