user account file stuffed

H_L

I booted up the other day and selected my user of 3 available and a box popped up saying something like this “ unable to load user page file” or “loading account setting error” I cant remember what it said but it cant load my account so it gives me a temporary one which is just like a new account all the settings go back to default like the xp wallpaper, task bar is locked again and group simular windows again, lost most of my icons, numlock key is off every log in, lost all my favourites in internet explorer, lost all files in my documents BUT all files are still in my documents IF you take the long way round through documents and settings,
even Microsoft word has reset and the user name box appears in word where you have to put your name and initials in like you just installed it.

I reckon windows has a file that stores all these account setting into so it can load every time it boots I think that file is corrupted? Now how do I fix this or is it best to start another user because it took ages to set mine up and I’d really like to fix it than create a new one

Thanks for your time people

patrickv

yeah i remember very way back when i posted a thread related to user account being lost or cannot load (error) or something. I think this is an issue which hasn't been resolve yet, but then again my problem was not solve so i had to create new users again.

edit: http://www.computerforum.com/66635-very-very-weid-problem.html
^^^ this was the thread i posted. i don't know if its that you're facing !!

Last edited:

H_L

hey pat
well that’s sounds just like what i have its like a very new account each time you log on you can put icons back, save WebPages to favourites, unlock the task bar etc..etc but the next time you log in its back to default!!!
thanks for the reply but i think i'll just do a new user bit of a pain but i'll just do it.

Thanks

Deepblue

The users profile is stored in C:\documents and settings\account name

all the Icons and settings are stored within these folders
you can create a new profile\user account and copy the settings from the corrupted profile.

there are other ways to fix these profiles but this is the easy way

addle_brains

Yes, boot in safe mode and log in as administrator. Create a new profile and copy the content of the old profile over. Then delete the old profile.

systek

banned
yes, you will have to log on as admin to the local machine unless you are on a domain to be able to access and move content within user profiles.