Using 2 computers with 1 Ext Hard Drive

Smudge

Just got a 250GB Western Digital external hard drive. This will be used only to backup data. I would like to know if I can use this on two different machines with different operating systems. Computer 1 is a laptop running Windows Vista. I have about 10 GB of photos and 5 GB of data all of which is under "Documents."

Computer 2 is a desktop running XP Media Center. Here I have about 10 GB of pics and about 10 GB of data all under "My Documents." I may decide to backup a few Gigs of music on both machines as well. Can I do this with my Ext. Hard Drive? I do not plan on using the included software that came with the Ext HD - just copy and paste method to the Ext HD. If this is possible, is there anything special that I have to do when going from one computer to the next or can I just plug into USB 2.0 port and copy and paste? Also, can I seperate documents from Computer 1 and Computer 2 by naming them as such? Thanks

cohen

put the drive into 1 computer and share the drive, then on the other computer (no external hard drive) copy + paste your data on the driver, over the network.

Smudge

Yes, All windows Os's use the same file system. U can use them both w/o a hitch.

So would I basically plug the Ext HD into computer 1 then copy and paste the files onto the Ext HD? Then plug into computer 2 and copy and paste the files onto the Ext HD? Any way to have the files/folders from each computer on the Ext HD separated so that I know which computer they came from?

Smudge

put the drive into 1 computer and share the drive, then on the other computer (no external hard drive) copy + paste your data on the driver, over the network.

These computers are not networked. One of them is my home computer and the other one is a laptop at work. The two do not (and cannot) have the same info on them.

Ishval

So would I basically plug the Ext HD into computer 1 then copy and paste the files onto the Ext HD? Then plug into computer 2 and copy and paste the files onto the Ext HD? Any way to have the files/folders from each computer on the Ext HD separated so that I know which computer they came from?

really simple. That' all you have to do.You can make new folders on the ext hdd. Name one one thing and another one another thing. Then all you have to do is copy/past or drag/drop.