Using a Dell Optiplex 380 as a base...

badclam

I replaced everything but the mb itself. New ram, hard drives the lot. Using it for a couple weeks to make sure all worked. I had two hd's one with windows 7 freshly loaded and one with Slack 14.2. Intention was to use on my TV so that I would be watching whatever on TV through computer. Got it loaded and again made sure was running. Everything fine. Moved it to living room next to TV. Hooked it up through VGA to HDMI adapter and SHIT, wrong hard drive came up. Slack logo on TV. No biggie, swapped hard drives and nothing. Now computer comes on, fan everything working but before it posts, I get 6 buzzes not beeps from the mb speaker and that is all. Runs fine displays nothing. This computer has an embedded video. I have pulled the jumper to clear cmos, pulled the battery, pulled and reset the ram and pulled and reseated plugs to hd's. The buzzes are long and again there are six of them then nothing it just runs without display.

badclam

johnb35, tks you saved me some cash. I pulled each stick and it came up and by swapping both sticks on both slots I got the right one. Checked with Amazon and turns out I still have some warranty. So until the replacement stick gets here, I will watch TV with 2GB or ram instead of 4 and it will cost me nothing more than a couple days wait.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
johnb35, tks you saved me some cash. I pulled each stick and it came up and by swapping both sticks on both slots I got the right one. Checked with Amazon and turns out I still have some warranty. So until the replacement stick gets here, I will watch TV with 2GB or ram instead of 4 and it will cost me nothing more than a couple days wait.
Thought so.