Using a VEXnet USB Adapter Key for WiFi and drivers.

Axeoasis

Hello all! I have a very odd situation. Here is the product that i am using with a computer running windows 7:

http://www.vexrobotics.com/276-2245.html

As you see, this is a USB device make for robots to talk to the controller (The two usb devices connect). As my school was throwing all of the older ones out for the new ones, i took about 4 (with permission) and decided to see what happened when i hooked one up to my desktop computer. What it did surprised me; It acted as a Wi-Fi adapter card, like what you would buy in the stores for older pc's. The wifi connection to it isn't bad either, it's fairly fast and rarely drops. However, i have been wanting to use an older machine running Windows XP Media Edition (It's my infamous 530s, originally ran Vista Basic but i can't use my mouse or keyboard when i get to the log in screen so i scrapped it) as a Movie player for my TV (i have 100+ GB worth of movies and shows i'm putting on it via an external HDD). However, the drivers need installed. Normally, i use driver booster to get them all installed, but here is my issue: Any windows version i have tried newer than 7 won't do the Wi-Fi adapter trick. I figured this was a driver thing that was recognizing the Hardware. Anyone know what the specific driver for this is so i can install it?

Lax

VIP Member
Once you plug in the adapter in Device Manager you can right click the presumably unknown device and select properties. Once there go to Details and select Hardware IDs, this will show the actual device ID which you can search for online (usually the first one on the list). It is plausible that it is simply some other internal adapter in a case designed by another company and sold as another product.