Using a VPN to change IP address on forums

textbook

Don't want to do this on this forum, I am never on it, but find it important on other forums where arguments breakout and because so many people hate you or are bored with you you can't get answers to questionsetc It's important to have another username to successfully continue to use that forum. I am using a free VPN - cyberghost which permanently gives me Manchester as my IP. That would mean logging in on the same IP (not my real one of course) for all usernames. I don't seem to be able to switch IPs on this software, unless I dont know how to use it. Would NordVPN a paid one be better? I was told you can switch IP easily, would that enable me to logon with different usernames?

Cyberghost also isn't activated straight away when shut down computer and turn back on again

Laquer Head

I use ExpressVPN and toggle it on/off when I want. I don't care for Nord personally, I find ExpressVPN to have less sacrifice in speed, way more options for servers to hit, and they aren't located in the USA, but off shore where they aren't subject to same rules and regulatory shit others are.

Ive also used PIA which is decent but much more spartan interface and much more basic overall.

Remember, if you signed up to a forum with one IP, they likely have that one logged as your registered IP, so changing it now may or may not help you, depending on the site and how attentive staff/admin are to who uses their site.

Agent Smith

https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-anonymous-review-2017-170304/

There are a few things to consider when using a VPN. 1) Does the VPN use port forwarding? If they do, don't use them. That right there will expose your real IP. 2) Is webrtc off in your browser? If not, congratulations, your IP is also exposed. Couple other things I can think about is HTML5 fingerprinting, cookies and cache.

https://browserleaks.com/webrtc#webrtc-disable

Last time I used BS PIA, their Ruby.exe thrashed on my HDD which was a SSD and that's a very bad thing. Others reported the same crap. Not sure if they use ruby now or not, but I do know PIA allows port forwarding and you don't want that. They claim they solved the IP leak issue, but I also read that was a fallacy. I use VPN.AC myself which is based in Romania. It's a straight forward VPN client with no muck and allows ECC and XOR encryption. They also give you the option to use LibreSSL instead of OpenSLL which is more secure, but apparently slows down connections higher that 80 MbPS. I've never experienced that kind of speed on a VPN anyway so it's a moot point.

Want to stay ultra hidden providing you take proper computer privacy steps? Use Tor with a bridge and a double hop with VPN.AC which they offer.

I won't be surprised if this thread gets locked. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

textbook

https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-anonymous-review-2017-170304/

There are a few things to consider when using a VPN. 1) Does the VPN use port forwarding? If they do, don't use them. That right there will expose your real IP. 2) Is webrtc off in your browser? If not, congratulations, your IP is also exposed. Couple other things I can think about is HTML5 fingerprinting, cookies and cache.

https://browserleaks.com/webrtc#webrtc-disable

Last time I used BS PIA, their Ruby.exe thrashed on my HDD which was a SSD and that's a very bad thing. Others reported the same crap. Not sure if they use ruby now or not, but I do know PIA allows port forwarding and you don't want that. They claim they solved the IP leak issue, but I also read that was a fallacy. I use VPN.AC myself which is based in Romania. It's a straight forward VPN client with no muck and allows ECC and XOR encryption. They also give you the option to use LibreSSL instead of OpenSLL which is more secure, but apparently slows down connections higher that 80 MbPS. I've never experienced that kind of speed on a VPN anyway so it's a moot point.

Want to stay ultra hidden providing you take proper computer privacy steps? Use Tor with a bridge and a double hop with VPN.AC which they offer.

I won't be surprised if this thread gets locked. LOL

How do you turn off the webrtc on internet explorer and Chrome?

textbook

My link says how to disable it in Chrome. Doesn't say how to in IE, and I wouldn't use IE or Chrome.
Who would you use?

I went to your link for disabling RTC there was a google store search bar and I searched RTC disable. It came up with some products to get or buy. Is that what I get?

Last edited:

Agent Smith

I'm not sure how effective it is, but in Chrome you need this extension. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/webrtc-network-limiter/npeicpdbkakmehahjeeohfdhnlpdklia Not sure how to disable Webrtc in IE.

Fro this link :

How to disable WebRTC in Google Chrome for Android:
Simple Explanation: In chrome://flags/#disable-webrtc enable the option and restart Chrome to apply.

Detailed Explanation:
However, you can disable WebRTC by typing chrome://flags/#disable-webrtc in the address bar, and tap Go. Enable the option and restart Chrome to apply the setting.

1. Navigate to “chrome://flags/#disable-webrtc” in the Chrome address bar.
  2. Enable the option.
  3. Restart Google Chrome to Apply the setting change.
  4. Test for IP Leaks using this WebRTC Leak Checker.

1. https://getfastvpn.com/vpn-articles...brtc-in-firefox-chrome-opera-edge-and-others/

textbook

Ok I added the RTC disabling function to my chrome browser. Downloaded Firefox as well. How about using smartphones, are you trackable on forums using 4G? I guess when your phone uses wifi the VPN hides your IP(unless there are other settings which need changing like RTC disabling for computers), how about your IP with 4 G on phones?

Agent Smith

It's a little more difficult to disable WebRTC on a phone. If you're using 4G/LTE, then the IP will typically resolve to a location near you. Like if you live in San Diego, California then the IP may say it's from Verizon out of San Diego or a near by town. Sometimes it will just say Kansas or something. If you use WIFI on your phone, then that IP will geo locate you to whatever WIFI you are connected to. If it's a coffee shop then it will list that IP and its location. If it's your home WIFI, then it will list your IP and its location.