Using home Stereo as PC speakers

JlCollins005

Im just wandering if ne1 else does this i have my RCA 300 Watt home Stereo with 5 speakers hooked up to my comp and it sounds amazing i was just wondering if ne1 one else does this

Calibretto

VIP Member
I have my 90 watt stereo system hooked up to my PC as well. It does sound amazing! My receiver is hooked up to 4 speakers total (2 desktop speakers and 2 tower speakers :D) I had to mess with the equalizer for about a half hour to make it sound really good.

Do you hook yours up with a 3.5mm to RCA cable and then set your stereo to AUX?

Quick69GTO

I used a 110watt X5 Kenwood surround receiver in stereo mode, two Advent Marbl speakers, and a JBL PSW-1200 12" powered sub, when I had four computers hooked up to a KVM.
I had each PC connected to the receiver and I used the remote to switch between them.
I ended up selling all the PCs and the audio equipment. Now I use a set of Klipsch speakers with a Logitech Z-2300 8" sub on one PC.

Sean89

ive got an rca stereo with 5 speakers to how did you hook it up to your computer a speaker going into your head set jack on your computer, then the other end is red and white?

G25r8cer

I have 4 speakers hooked up to my pc! 460watts of power baby! I have one single connection which i took the regular speaker jack and hooked it up to the aux on my stereo!

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I (or my parents) have a thousand watt Onkyo 7.1 system hooked up down stairs. I've tried playing games/DVDs on it. ABSOLUTELY amazing sound that blows away even the best of the best computer speakers.

Quick69GTO

Hey Sean89.
I used the regular 1/8" (green) sound card output on the back of the PCs (onboard or PCI).
The cables were 1/8" male to the standard male RCA style (red/white) composite.
You can use any one of the low level inputs (CD/Tape/VCR) on the back of the receiver.
The receiver will only output Dolby Pro Logic or stereo only. If you want Digital 5.1, that's a whole different ball game.

ellanky

Couple of times I hooked up the Sony living room stereo, dont know how much watts it had but it was wayy better than some lancing speakers I had, i never wanted to put them backk :[

but my X 540 do well..

WeatherMan

Used to have my Jamo Surround Kit setup to my system, Untill It died. Sad Sad day! :( $1760 down the drain.

Also had a pair of Mission Units after, an then later on paired with a Denon Hi Fi.

All that has gone now, in the process of buying a Bose Companion 5, heard them in germany they sounded pretty nice! :D

JlCollins005

Calib srry for such a late reply yea i use a 3.5mm to RCA conversion adapter the only problem i have sometimes is the way my audio and lan are the lan kind pushed the adapter outta wack iget a buzzing noise all i gotta do is adjust it but man i do love the way it sounds

Calibretto

VIP Member
ABSOLUTELY amazing sound that blows away even the best of the best computer speakers.

Yeah same here! My system cost only about $100 (I got most of the speakers for free. Just had to pay for the receiver) and it sounds better than most expensive PC speaker systems that are $500+.

Quick69GTO

Bootup05.
It's my opinion that you could do much better that Bose for the same money.
I have never liked Bose because they have always used cheap drivers that produce awful sound. I have auditioned every Bose speaker system they have made since the late 70's and they have yet to produce a product that lives up to the price.
Hell, in some systems, Logitech uses higher quality components than Bose does.
Two of the best manufacturers of audiophile PC speaker systems are Klipsch and M-Audio.
I urge you to audition some of their comparably priced PC speaker systems.
They will blow Bose out of the water.

SirKenin

banned
Yes. This is mine:

htpc011kz9.jpg

SirKenin

banned
Bootup05.
It's my opinion that you could do much better that Bose for the same money.
I have never liked Bose because they have always used cheap drivers that produce awful sound. I have auditioned every Bose speaker system they have made since the late 70's and they have yet to produce a product that lives up to the price.
Hell, in some systems, Logitech uses higher quality components than Bose does.

Agreed. Bose is terrible. They never did master the stereo image thing.. Not to mention that the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired. Bose is merely marketing a name.

Calibretto

VIP Member
Nice setup SirKenin! Hopefully I'll have something like that when I get money! Do you always run your computer through that TV?

SirKenin

banned
Thanks :) And yes, actually. I'm sitting in front of it now. There's actually 2 computers on this. The HTPC, which you see under the TV, and the beast off to the right.

I'm working on a couple more things, one a full fledged media server with RAID 5, the other media center terminals for each room of the house, all networked together and internet accessible (FTP). Currently I use two servers in the server room for that, but most clients aren't going to want those beasts in their home. From this pic you'll see why:

003mx1.jpg

CG man

No PC sound hardware is a match for a seperates HI Fi setup I have My PC pluged into An ARCAM A85 Amp and Bowers & Wilkins 603 Speakers. Only trouble is war games bring plaster off the walls.

WeatherMan

I quite like Bose myself, grew up around my Dad's System. hes owned loads of kit during his time, didnt get to hear much of it as I wasnt around at that time.

Im not into the name as a whole, didn't think much of his Wave system. But the PC Kit they do I really enjoy listening to, theres some sort of Weird Bass Immersion that draws me to them. Which I can't find in Logitech's Speakers, Been looking at their £90 THX Kit, Z-2300 I think.

To me this Bose hate is just the same as the PC/MAC thing, but thats my opinion:)

PunterCam

Have Bose ever been a good make?! I think the fact that they've been around for ever makes people think they're good or something.

I personally quite like the logitech stuff - you can use them at a quiet volume and still hear low frequencies, which most speakers, short of ones with servoed bass drivers can't manage- for background listening they're great.

I've a nice pair of PMCs which I used with my computer for a while, but they managed absolutely no bass in my room - there was a nice pool of it on the street out side - bloody ports!