using public networks

My dad has concerns when it comes to using public and neighbor's networks. The only way he can connect to our internet, is if he is inside of my room which I guess is because our modem has a very weak signal and cannot reach anywhere outside the walls of my room. He wants to do his taxes and he has a fear of getting his info stolen, etc if he uses public/neighbor's internet. How feasible is this and can any of you backup your arguments with facts etc so i can show this to him and ease his mind..

Im tired of him going into my room to use the internet whenever he needs to do something important.

ganzey

banned
it is possible that they can see everything he types, but very unlikely that they will, or even know how to do this. although, i would highly recommend NOT using the neighbors internet for his taxes. either move the router , or get a better router.

there are several programs that let you see what people on your network are doing, like cain and able

Flaring Afro

It's very illegal to use your neighbor's internet. We're talking about jail time. Also, you can get a pretty good router on newegg for about $20 shipped.