Using RubberMaid plastic container as PC case?

hirobo2

Just a hypothetical situation.

Supposing I were to be really cheap and use a large RubberMaid plastic container bought from Wal-Mart as a PC case, making holes for the ventilation fans. And assuming I'm putting a low-power CPU on the mobo. What could potentially be wrong with this scenario?

Intel_man

VIP Member
Well, you still need to figure out how to mount the mobo to the container without shorting it. So you'll probably need those brass spacers (motherboard standoffs). You'll still need to fit the PSU in there and somehow ventilate the exhaust outwards and not contain it inside the tub. Among other things like mounting harddrives and figure out the ideal ventilation path.

Depending on the size of your mobo, the Rubbermaid container could cost you as much as a cheap case anyways.

Its easier to just buy a case for like $60.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/jrVBD3/phanteks-case-phes515pbk

hirobo2

I really think it would be a really BAD idea TBH.

In reality, bad. But not in theory...

Anyways, what's the point of mounting anything to the container other than the PSU/exhaust/intake fans? I would be using a 2.5" HDD with it and it would be just fine left somewhere inside the case...

Origin Saint

As above, so below. Terrible idea. But hey, if you want to try it....

200.gif

beers

Staff member
That sounds awful but post pics when you're done. I've seen more than one person use a plastic milk crate and zip tie all of their components on the inside while using it simultaneously as a chair/seat

Geoff

VIP Member
Is it possible? Of course. However, I think it would actually be more expensive when all said and done. You can get a computer case for $25-$30 new. Usually those large containers are $10-$20 alone, and you would then need to purchase fans and mounting hardware.

The most difficult problem would be mounting the hardware. In a computer case, components are stacked vertically. You'd have to make your own shelves in the container, or get one larger enough things can be spread out, but then just hope no one bumps it. The second problem is getting adequate airflow so it doesn't overheat.