Using same HDD in two computers

ZeroWing

I was wondering if there is a way to use the same HDD in two separate computers. I go back and forth between school and home and rather than lug my whole computer back to my house every time I come home, I was wondering if I could pull my HDD out and just plug it into the PC at home. Is there a way to do this so that the same windows and files boot up?

Aastii

VIP Member
I was wondering if there is a way to use the same HDD in two separate computers. I go back and forth between school and home and rather than lug my whole computer back to my house every time I come home, I was wondering if I could pull my HDD out and just plug it into the PC at home. Is there a way to do this so that the same windows and files boot up?

If they were idential spec wise, then yes, otherwise, no because you will end up getting driver conflicts.

However, it would be possible with 2 seperate windows installations, and 3 partitions. You would have 2 partitions for windows, and 1 partition for all of your files/folders, which can be accessed by both instances of windows.

Alternatively, buy either a hard drive caddy to put your hard drive in to connect to the computer, or external hard drive for storing your files on, so you would only have to take that, rather than the entire computer

ZeroWing

However, it would be possible with 2 seperate windows installations, and 3 partitions. You would have 2 partitions for windows, and 1 partition for all of your files/folders, which can be accessed by both instances of windows.

How would I save files onto the 3rd partition from either windows?

BrokaToe

Your best bet would be to invest a little money into a WD Passport drive that you can sync your data between your home pc and school, very easy to set up and well worth the money.