Using XP CD to repair

curtis73

I'm having a tough time. My XP is apparently fried. I found an XP CD so I put it in and selected "r" to repair. It asks which one I want to repair, I enter "1" and it just gives me a c:\windows prompt.

What do I do with that?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I'm having a tough time. My XP is apparently fried. I found an XP CD so I put it in and selected "r" to repair. It asks which one I want to repair, I enter "1" and it just gives me a c:\windows prompt.

What do I do with that?

You chose to do a repair via the recovery console. You want to get past that point and get to the next screen where it will ask you if you want to repair an existing installation or install a fresh copy.

dznutz

threre are 2 ways to repair.

yours is the first way. that's the best way if you know SPECIFICALLY which file(s) you want to repair. this is where dos commands come in.

the other way is mentioned above. i don't have the steps in the top of my head but it's something like.... choose the option to install an OS. you'll then get an option to repair or install the OS. this repair option is a general repair. .... and yes the wording for the xp repair is bad.

ceewi1

VIP Member
  • Press Enter to go past that screen asking you to repair using the Recovery Console
  • Press F8 to accept the licence agreement
  • Press 'r' now to start the repair