utilizing 4gb memory on 32bit OS

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
cromewell when you say 32bit cpu do you mean 32bit OS or are you on about an actual 32bit processor?
Technically, the CPU. But if you are running a 32bit OS on a 64bit CPU then the CPU is limited to 32bit operation.

tyttebøvs

PAE has already been mentioned, so it might be confusing to say the CPU limits the address space to 4GB, when it is really a piece of code inside Windows that limits it

WhiteFireDragon

I'll try explaining this a different way (it will still say the same thing though).

A 32bit CPU can address 4GB of memory. To be able to use other devices (stuff integrated on the motherboard, add-in cards, video card, etc) some address have to be given to them.

Say your address range looks like this:
<-------------------------------------- Memory ------------------------------------>

Addresses are then taken from the high end of the range and given to devices. So then your address range looks like this:
<---------------------- Memory ---------------------| |----Devices----------------->

Any memory though would be given an address beyond the new limit, cannot be addressed.

Does that make more sense?

ah i sorta get it now. then based on what you're saying, there will be more space for memory and the system will see more if i take out my sound card or tv-tuner card on the PCI slots? will each memory stick run cooler if i keep all 4 sticks in there as opposed to taking one out?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
PAE has already been mentioned, so it might be confusing to say the CPU limits the address space to 4GB, when it is really a piece of code inside Windows that limits it
True enough. I didn't want to complicate things by bringing PAE into the mix though.
there will be more space for memory and the system will see more if i take out my sound card or tv-tuner card on the PCI slots?
Yes. I'm not sure how much space those use, the big takers are usually video cards with lots of onboard memory (ie 512+MB cards).

Your RAM will run a bit cooler if you take one out but I don't think it's enough to worry about and I'd say you're better leaving all 4 in to keep dual channel.

WhiteFireDragon

Your RAM will run a bit cooler if you take one out but I don't think it's enough to worry about and I'd say you're better leaving all 4 in to keep dual channel.

then this implies both dual channels will be faster than one dual channel + 1 extra stick?

also, i thought having 4 sticks will share the load between the 4, so it will run cooler as opposed to 3 sticks taking all the load, which will heat up faster. right?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
then this implies both dual channels will be faster than one dual channel + 1 extra stick?
Yes because then all your RAM will be dual channel as opposed to 1/2. Toms Hardware did a test that shows DDR2-800 doesn't really benefit from dual channel (they show a low single digit % penalty for single channel) but I don't usually put much stock in their tests. It is true that memory speed isn't as important now that a single stick of RAM can run at 800MHz DDR though.
also, i thought having 4 sticks will share the load between the 4, so it will run cooler as opposed to 3 sticks taking all the load, which will heat up faster. right?
RAM is powered the whole time, it doesn't really load like say a CPU would.