Very High RAM Usage # 2 (Win 7 desktop)

Dart77

Hi -- After reading NoviceGeek's recent post about his RAM use issue I am prompted to ask also about my high RAM usage. The attached screen shots show a lot. Quick background: Still using Windows 7 as I dabble around with video rendering and media files and I'm comfortable with the old NCH software which was designed only for XP and Win 7. I gave the machine to a repair place with just the intention of getting extra RAM (8G to 16 Gb) plus an SSD but the guy told me that the MB was just getting too old as it was a first generation i5 750 board. It had Win 7 Professional 64 installed (8Gb) and was running well but always had to watch the RAM and occasionally got the Blue Screen (BSOD). Now it's a Gigabyte Q87M-MK board with 4th Gen i7-4770S 3.1GHz and 32Gb shows as Installed but only 16G is usable which I'm not happy about. (Could it be because it's WIndows 7 Home Premium rather than Win Professional?)

RAM is 4 x New Strontium DDR3 modules, not used RAM or cheap ebay RAM

The computer guy said it will use it all when it needs it but obviously it's not doing that. I watch the RAM on startup go from below 3Gb and in about 15minutes it's reached about 9Gb - going up in steps - and still continually going up and up in steps with no applications running. After 3 hours and it's up over 15Gb and just stays at almost maximum for hours on end with nothing open except Paint and Sticky Notes! Until I shut it down (full shut down), start up again then it does the same thing.

I have used the video editor and Chrome while it is in a moderate range but still rising; and opening and closing these applications doesn't seem to affect the way the RAM operates (except for very slight changes in the graph.)

It's like the OS is doing some sort of self test but why does it keep doing it and why not come down again?

I don't dare do anything on the computer when it's up that high, but surprisingly I haven't got the BSOD yet.

After the fourth shut down and start-up, it hasn't done it and stays stable between 4 and 10 Gb. But it's been running about 2 weeks now with no issues.

Have also attached a shot of the Task Manager Processes and Applications during these times

Does anyone know why it might be doing this as I have never seen it before with any machine I've had.

Thanks

Attachments

• RAM in Task Manager Processes.jpg
    RAM in Task Manager Processes.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 3
  • Task manager snapshot 2.jpg
    Task manager snapshot 2.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 3
  • RAM in Task Manager 3.jpg
    RAM in Task Manager 3.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 2
  • RAM in Task Manager 7.jpg
    RAM in Task Manager 7.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 2
  • RAM in Task Manager 9.jpg
    RAM in Task Manager 9.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 2
  • RAM in Task Manager 10.jpg
    RAM in Task Manager 10.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 2
  • RAM 20min after Start up.jpg
    RAM 20min after Start up.jpg
    628.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Processes in Task Manager On Start up.jpg
    Processes in Task Manager On Start up.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 3

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
32Gb shows as Installed but only 16G is usable which I'm not happy about. (Could it be because it's WIndows 7 Home Premium rather than Win Professional?)
Yes, Home Premium has a 16gb maximum memory limit for the 64 bit version. Who ever worked on your system should have known that, that extra 16gb is useless right now.

windows 7 memory limits.jpg

Have you ran any malware scans with Malwarebytes?

Dart77

Have you ran any malware scans with Malwarebytes?
Thanks for letting me know re memory limits, it's just something that popped into my head when I saw the System page. I suppose I should've looked it up myself.

Re Malwarebytes - I had in on the other MB but when the guy reloaded Windows I had to reinstall programs and I haven't done that one yet. Will do it tonight.

beers

Staff member
I've only seen negative things about videopad, I'd be taking a look at each app you use for utilization and leak type of behavior. I used to have a Logitech headset driver that would leak and consume up through 24 GB.

I'd wipe it and put professional on it and start going from there as you build it back up software-wise.

Dart77

Beers, thanks for the reply. Yes VideoPad (this early version) is a tremendously frustrating thing to use, and I have been using it on and off for many years. It's as if it was started by a competent developer but then left to finish by the high school work experience kid. But me being one who is not overly liking of learning new things when it comes to programs (hence staying on WIn 7 ... in fact it was a sad day when I had to let go of XP, thanks to Micro Soft turning it off) I just put up with it. But I do like the twin screens - input and output, plus it is very stable in Win 7 and usually gives plenty of warning before it crashes, which is not often. Other video editing programs are often more fussy and less stable I have found. But as for being a problem with RAM, I have not seen any leakage using VP with two other machines but yes that was Windows Professional 64 (only 8Gb Ram).

I have contacted the guy who upgraded this machine and he said he has Professional which he can install. Don't know why he didn't do that in the first place - rather frustrating, as it was already installed and working fine. He will do a full clean install under warranty. But I suppose it was an old First Gen board so I'm glad now it's Gen 4 and also apparently Win 10 compatible ; and with Prof, I can now use the full 32Gb RAM hopefully.

I haven't turned this computer off for 2 weeks, as I'm worried it will go back to that freaky high usage pattern like before.