Very high RAM usage

novicegeek

So, here's the deal. My RAM is running high. I just noticed it today and don't know anything I've done differently. At the cost of hugely embarrassing myself, I will just come right out and say, I have 64GB of RAM. Yes, it is extreme overkill. Yes, it was a horrible waste of money. But at this point it is what it is.

So the RAM was running about 41% with Firefox and a Word document opened. So, I ran a full virus scan (I removed one item), and I did a lot of optimization, but it's still running mid to upper 30%. As you can tell by the snip from the screen (top row is temp, RAM - in orange and load - in white, bottom row is CPU, disk, & RAM). And in that screenshot, I didn't have any programs or apps pulled up.

In addition, the highest process in the Task Manager shows Firefox at around 800MB and the anti-virus program using up about 350MB of RAM, but everything below Windows Explorer (93MB) is 73MB and below. Half of the programs are 2MB or less.

Can someone give me some suggestions as to where to begin looking for an issue? There's no way the RAM should be this high.

BTW, I've got an Intel Core i7 9700K CPU, a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro motherboard, and an MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB GPU. So, mid to upper 30% is WAY too high.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• computer - high RAM usage.JPG
    computer - high RAM usage.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 6

beers

Staff member
Your attachment doesn't really say much. Also 64g isn't always a waste, I was looking forward to one of those 96g kits on a new framework 16.

What processes are using the most? ~25%ish as a baseline isn't too outlandish at least for me.

1691853818479.png

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
We would need to see the ram usage in Task manager. Make sure you click is so it shows most usage at the top. Make sure you see the down arrow at the top left of the memory column as shown in image. Make sure you disable any unnecessary apps from running at bootup.

ram usage.jpg

mreccentric

Firefox is eating lot of RAM for me too. It seems so from quite few years, which was not the same before. The browsers these days take a lot of memory for it to run. I think Chrome would take even more. It is quite normal, especially after updating the browser to newer versions (Version Year 2015+).

novicegeek

Okay. Here's what I've got.

It may be nothing, but it's just that, until now, my RAM never went above 15%. Now it's doubled and I'm at a loss as to why. I don't think I've done anything different - unless Firefox has decided to chew up a bunch more memory all of the sudden.

And I appreciate the comment that 64GB is not always waste. I'm pretty sure it is for me, but darn it, I've got it anyway. And even if it's doubled, I've still got plenty to spare. I was just wondering if something might be wrong with the system.

Thanks again all.

computer - task manager - high RAM.JPGcomputer - memory performance.JPG

novicegeek

Firefox is eating lot of RAM for me too. It seems so from quite few years, which was not the same before. The browsers these days take a lot of memory for it to run. I think Chrome would take even more. It is quite normal, especially after updating the browser to newer versions (Version Year 2015+).
Yeah, I switched to Firefox because Chrome lost all of my bookmarks, but it does seem to be a memory hog. BTW, I got the bookmarks back, but only in a text form, not a hyperlink. I'm still mad about it.