Very loud fan

Noisy fans dell

I've got problems with a noisy fan on a two year old

Dell G7 15 7590​

I've taken it to a laptop repair shop who gave it a good clean which has seen the device being cooler during the noise but even switching the settings doesn't stop the sound.
I ordered a new fan and the online shop delivered the wrong one (According to the repair shop who couldn't replace the fan).
I have done all diagnostics and installed as much as I can to no avail.
I have contacted Dell about renewing my warranty but aren't sure if this will cover replacements and repair, do they do this under a new warranty for a two year old machine that has been a year out of?
I cannot insure it and send for repair as the fault pre-dates the insurance start date.

Can anyone help here

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think Dell with issue a new warranty for something already out of warranty. If you they ordered a replacement fan and shipped the wrong one then just have them ship the correct one.

Noisy fans dell

I don't think Dell with issue a new warranty for something already out of warranty. If you they ordered a replacement fan and shipped the wrong one then just have them ship the correct one.
They keep offering one even though I've got my diagnostics and problem saved on my account.
I've searched for issues with my laptop and it appears a common issue.
What I have been struggling to find is whether it's a fault with the fan that diagnostics can't pick up or is it broken in a way that cannot be seen. According to the repairman neither fans were broken and the insides are thoroughly cleaned out.
Only switching between performance settings will quieten it down or a tap.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The processor is either hot and the fan is working overtime to cool it down or there is something wrong with the fan like bad bearing/brushes.

Noisy fans dell

No difference possibly worse since installing updates, weather is warmer than usual.
The laptop itself isn't running hotter than it should or slower, i'm not sure if the fans just rubbing on something as they did not think it was broken when it was looked at during it's clean.

Noisy fans dell

Fans been replaced and is working. Now for next problem

Battery was seen as swollen so a new one was ordered and replaced with the fan.
The battery is the correct one but only charges to 2%.
I've ran updates and downloaded DELL Power management and cannot find any setting that allows me to charge more than 2%.
I've pressed F2 to configure it but there isn't a setting to increase capacity to 100%.
I cannot run or run bios updates on a battery of less than 10% so cannot do that.
Battery is showing as healthy but has failed a diagnostic test. The battery is the correct one.
Is there any other options other than taking it back and ordering a new one. It's still under warranty.
ps
I cannot remove the battery to try any of these tips.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Sounds like they put in a bad battery and didn't have the foresight to test charge and/or otherwise verify it wasn't busted. I would go back and get the old one back or if they no longer have it, then make them put in a known working (preferably OEM) one.

Then find a new repair shop.