Very Slow Connection on MSI Gaming Laptop

Codeguru

It's obviously running a Killer 3100G 2.5 Gigabit Controller, or I wouldn't be here. I'd be playing games.

My desktop wired ethernet was clocking at speeds over 85 M/s download speeds on steam.

This one, 7.5 M/s max.

Tried setting MTU to 1500 which it always is in every computer that exists, apparently by default. Tried updating drivers, nothing. Tried downloading anything and everything meant to help with Killer series ethernet adapters. Nothing is working.

Clearly my own ineptitude is what I am fighting at the moment, and to make matters worse my 2080 RTX Super finally bit the dust in my main gaming rig making it a no go for gaming options unless I feel like wasting another $700 for that piece of crap. My next move is building a new gaming rig as my motherboard is just plain outdated and can't even handle octa-core CPUs. But until I get that ball rolling, I'm using the laptop.

MSI GE76 Raider Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7-11800H, GeForce RTX 3060, 17.3" FHD 144HZ, 32GB RAM2TB NVMe SSD, Wi-Fi6​

That's the piece of crap I'm dealing with, and to top all of this off they scammed me with a 1TB NWMe SSD instead of the listed 2TB.

If anyone has any clue on how to get this damn speed back up to par, I would greatly appreciate it.

PS- I KNEW this was going to happen when I finally broke down and bought a gaming laptop. I have learned my very expensive lesson from this and will never buy one again. I'm stupid, gullible, and a moron for doing it. But, I have to make due with my situation until my finances and sanity even out again and build a valid desktop gaming rig.

beers

Staff member
That's not a function of 'being a laptop'.

Have you installed the driver package for that NIC?