VGA monitor not working with Windows 10

PunterCam

Hey all,

I usually run my windows 10 desktop with an HDMI (1920x1080) monitor - it works fine. I also use that monitor when I go away to work elsewhere, so I swap in my old 24", 1920x1200 LCD screen, which only has a VGA in.

Every single time I do this I have to play a little game with the computer until Windows sees there's something there and fires out a video signal. The post screen/windows boot logo all appear, and then the screen says "no signal" when I get to the login page. Not "out of range" or anything like that (the vga screen can happilly show 1920x1080 anyway). The difference is this time I can't get the bugger to work, and it's properly annoying. I unplug, replug, reboot, reboot with the screen off, screen on, nothing seems to be getting it going.

Any hints? The screen is fine, I've done this swap dozens of times and the same nonsense happens every time. After it works once it works every time, but getting to that "once" ain't happening this time. The video card is just a 750ti, but it works fine - it's a software issue, not a hardware one. And with the genius that is Windows 10, I can't get into safe mode or anything without being in windows first(?!?!? Seriously?! Is this correct?! Utter joke).

Anyways, a little help would be most welcome.

C