VGA Resolution Problems

I am using a Insignia HDTV as my monitor through a VGA cable. It is working fine but I can only get the resolution to maximize at 1024 by 768 when it can actually display up to 1366 by 768 which makes it so there are two black spaces on each side of the screen because of the unused pixels. Does any one know how I can set it so I can use the resolution 1266 by 768 like reate a custom resolution or can VGA only support up to 1024 by 768, do I need to upgrade cables? Help is appreciated.

Geoff

VIP Member
Are you using integrated video? I found that most integrated video chips dont support as wide of a range of resolutions.

by integrated I assume you mean the gpu coming with the computer? in that case the answer is yes, because I am using a dell 8100 inspiron laptop I do not have the ability to upgrade to a more advanced video card (unless doing complicated surgery in which there are only a few other options, or video cards, compatible, and these few in availability are only slightly better performance wise than my current) so do I have any options here, I really want to take advantage of this spacious screen size.

Buy-it PC

by integrated I assume you mean the gpu coming with the computer? in that case the answer is yes, because I am using a dell 8100 inspiron laptop I do not have the ability to upgrade to a more advanced video card (unless doing complicated surgery in which there are only a few other options, or video cards, compatible, and these few in availability are only slightly better performance wise than my current) so do I have any options here, I really want to take advantage of this spacious screen size.

Ummmm.... being that it's a laptop/notebook you are limited to what you can do there, I am sorry.
:(

Xwardos

the onboard vga is the problem. it probably doesn't support the resolution your looking for. try, upgrading the bios. maybe you'll find a feature in the upgrade that helps the GPU of the onboard vga.

just an idea mate.

no it does support the resolution because the laptops screen is at the reoltuion 1400 by 1050, its just it won't let the television, or secondary monitor to go past 1024 by 728 and I don't know why or how to fix it.

Geoff

VIP Member
no it does support the resolution because the laptops screen is at the reoltuion 1400 by 1050, its just it won't let the television, or secondary monitor to go past 1024 by 728 and I don't know why or how to fix it.
Most integrated chips dont support the resolution your looking for, and 1400x1050 is a completely different resolution then 1366 by 768, which is an obscure resolution.