Video Capture

Corsair

I have a Sony Hi 8 analog camcorder and am wanting to do video capture to my computer so I can burn to a DVD.

Do you have any suggestions as to what I should get. I dont want to spend a whole lot (30 to 100$). Do you have any suggestions as to a good card or device that would get this done for me with fairly high video and sound quality?

I am just using this to convert home video (home use stuff) and dont need a whole lot more than that. I just dont want to lose quality in the conversion from analog to DVD.

Travo925

...Sony Hi 8....does that use a CF card, if so just plug into a cf card reader (maybe 30 bucks at compusa), and use windows movie maker to capture the video. Really easy program to use, and not to shabby on the video editing. I use it all the time. Then If ya want to burn it onto a dvd, I use Roxio, but that is a bit expensive, but well worth it. It comes with editing software but I dont really like it...I just use it to burn the dvd and make the dvd menu's and such...

Bobo

banned
Since when is a card reader $30? More like $15

Your camera might also have a USB port right on it, in which case, you can hook it right up to your computer via that port.

I use Nero for CDs, I don't know if it does DVDs

sho95

I would just use your Fire wire connection. Your computer may have firewire. just buy a 4 pin to 6 pin firewire cable. the 4 pin would go on the camcorder and the 6 pin side on your computer. If your PC don't have one you could buy a PCI card for about $10 -$20. DONT use the USB cable unless the camcorder supports 2.0 USB. What model is it?

Trukindave

If not just buy a New TV tuner card off ebay, Usually under $40.00 with shipping And it will let you hook your camcorder, cable TV, Antenna, VCR or whatever you want to hook up.. And record away. Also takes snapshots and more :) Also some even have FM tuners to listen to FM stereo as well

Corsair

All my cam corder has is analog outs, no Firewire or USB. I have seen vid capture stuff at walmart (ADS DVD Capture ) but I dont know if it is any good.