Video card acting weird

venraw

I have Dual GTX 470 SLI and sometimes during gaming, my screen will make a checkered pattern of like blur or something with the actual game visuals. It did this when I had just a single 470 gtx too. Sometimes it would say I lost control of the drivers in the bottom left. Any thoughts?

salvage-this

Are you running the 470's overclocked? Try Updating the drivers and checking the stability with something like Furmark.

venraw

They're currently at stock speed. I thought about OCing, but two 470s seem like they'll run anything on the market at stock. My processor isn't either and I did a PSU load calculator to make sure 750watts was sufficient (This is a CorsairTX so good brand 60amps on the 12v rail) and the results recommended anything above a 623w PSU. It only games when I game at random times. Sometimes it doesn't happen for a couple of days. Thought about RMA but trying to weigh all my options.

salvage-this

How many 12v rails do you have? I doubt that that is the problem but good to check everything right?

Did anything update with the drivers?

venraw

I think it has just one 60amp 12v rail. I recently just formatted a SSD drive fresh with all new drivers and added that second 470 gtx. it was doing it on my old hard drive every so often too. if it does it again, I'll see if I can get a screenshot so you guys can have a better picture.

JustinKranz

maybe up your 470's fan speeds, if you're running those at the stock 40% that could be an issue, when I play games I always put the speed at 100% on my gtx 470

venraw

Never thought about that Kranz. The fans are annoying at that speed but I have a new full-size coolermaster tower so maybe the big fans will help drown them out? It's weird that it only happens so often even with that kind of ventilation. I'll try to get a screen shot and send it to EVGA asking for their opinion. Thanks for the tip though

JustinKranz

Yeah I agree with the fans being annoying.. mine sounds like an airplane lol..

But I have some nice speakers, so whenever I'm playing a game I just crank up my volume to drown out the fan noise.

I had a problem when playing Fallout New Vegas that when I was in a big open area the game would crash, or if it didn't crash I would see white squares randomly appear throughout the screen. Now that I have up'd my fan speed I no longer have that problem.

Good luck with EVGA.