Video card and my power supply

PC Hobbyist

I was looking into getting a GeForce 7800 and on the box it says (under system requirements), that a power supply of at least 350 Watts is needed. I believe I have a 200 or 250 W power supply (HP Pavillion a250n). What should I do?
  1. not buy this card at all
  2. buy a this card and keep my power supply
  3. change my power supply to support cards with those higher requirements.
Is it tricky to change a power supply? How do I know if it will fit my computer?

Washrag

I was looking into getting a GeForce 7800 and on the box it says (under system requirements), that a power supply of at least 350 Watts is needed. I believe I have a 200 or 250 W power supply (HP Pavillion a250n). What should I do?
  1. not buy this card at all
  2. buy a this card and keep my power supply
  3. change my power supply to support cards with those higher requirements.
Is it tricky to change a power supply? How do I know if it will fit my computer?

Well, if you went with the second option, it would turn into the third option because the card would be useless unless you upgraded your PSU.

PC Hobbyist

Well, if you went with the second option, it would turn into the third option because the card would be useless unless you upgraded your PSU.

Thanks for the quick response.

Ok, then I need some advice on upgrading my PSU.

How do I know if it will fit in my HP Pavillion? Is it pretty standard that they all fit?

What should I look for when shopping for a new PSU?

If I buy it in the U.S., can I use it in Europe, where the current is 220V instead of 120V?

Thanks for your help.
Oh, and as far as videos cards, what is the difference between the 7800GT and the 7800GS?

Washrag

Thanks for the quick response.

Ok, then I need some advice on upgrading my PSU.

How do I know if it will fit in my HP Pavillion? Is it pretty standard that they all fit?

What should I look for when shopping for a new PSU?

If I buy it in the U.S., can I use it in Europe, where the current is 220V instead of 120V?

Thanks for your help.
Oh, and as far as videos cards, what is the difference between the 7800GT and the 7800GS?

I'm not too knowledgeable on the subject, but try reading this:
http://www.computerforum.com/10764-psu-101-a.html

It should help you somewhat. As to whether it will fit or not, I believe it depends on your case design (i.e. ATX, ATX Micro) ATX is the standard, but it does vary.

elitehacker

I think you should get a better card, the 7800 is very old, go for at least a 7900GT. When shopping for a PSU, just make sure it has all the right sockets for example now motherboards need a 24 pin socket, but since your power supply is only 250 I don't think its one of those new motherboards, so look for a PSU with a 20 pin socket. Apart from that, getting a generic 400W PSU should be enough, they are all about the same.
Regarding the voltage question, there should be a red slider on the PSU that you can slide to switch between 220 V and 120V.

PC Hobbyist

I think you should get a better card, the 7800 is very old, go for at least a 7900GT. When shopping for a PSU, just make sure it has all the right sockets for example now motherboards need a 24 pin socket, but since your power supply is only 250 I don't think its one of those new motherboards, so look for a PSU with a 20 pin socket. Apart from that, getting a generic 400W PSU should be enough, they are all about the same.
Regarding the voltage question, there should be a red slider on the PSU that you can slide to switch between 220 V and 120V.

Here are the specs for my computer:
MOBO specs
General specs

Can you tell if I need a PSU with a 20 pin socket or one with a 24 pin? Will only one of them work for me, or can a 20+4 be used for either situation?
I was think about getting this one. I know, it's a 550W, but I think I prefer that over a lower wattage one since the other specs on it (rails, voltage, and amperes) are pretty good. (I base that decision on what I read here - thanks to Washrag).

Also, I checked newegg for video cards better than the 7800, but the only two I found (7900GS and 7950GT) had mediocre reviews. I didn't find any in the GeForce 8 series that are AGP8x (since that is the BUS on my MOBO). Since I am not an avid gamer, I think the 7800 should be fine for me. However, what is the difference between GS and GT? Which is better?

Thanks again for your input. I'm learning more through all this.

jfmonette

my motherboard is onlya 20 pin but i plugged a 24pin psu without any problems

you just have to me it fit wich is very easy....

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Here are the specs for my computer:
MOBO specs
General specs

Can you tell if I need a PSU with a 20 pin socket or one with a 24 pin? Will only one of them work for me, or can a 20+4 be used for either situation?
I was think about getting this one. I know, it's a 550W, but I think I prefer that over a lower wattage one since the other specs on it (rails, voltage, and amperes) are pretty good. (I base that decision on what I read here - thanks to Washrag).

Also, I checked newegg for video cards better than the 7800, but the only two I found (7900GS and 7950GT) had mediocre reviews. I didn't find any in the GeForce 8 series that are AGP8x (since that is the BUS on my MOBO). Since I am not an avid gamer, I think the 7800 should be fine for me. However, what is the difference between GS and GT? Which is better?

Thanks again for your input. I'm learning more through all this.

Count the slots on the mobo. I'm guessing you'll have an 20 pin with an 4pin black/yellow cpu connector...

RoBBy

-first: there is no Dx10 cards on AGP, so if u want those, need to change mobo.

-second: THE 7800GT IS BETTER THAN THE 7800GS!!!