Video card and RAM recommendation

dave39

My current PC specs are in my signature, and I primarily play World of Warcraft (1080p).
My video card is hitting 100% utilization and my RAM is 90%+ utilization.
I don't think a full rebuild is necessary at this point, so I am hoping you guys can give me recommendations.
Is there a DDR3 16GB kit that you would recommend? A different Radeon video card? I've been out of the loop for a bit now.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
This just doesn't make sense since you are running with the recommended hardware. There might be something else going on with your system. Do you have the latest video driver installed? What motherboard are you using? What bios revision does it have installed?

dave39

Thanks John, mobo is gigabyte ga-z97x-ud3h
Video driver is up to date but BIOS isn't. I tried to figure out how to update my bios (and have the file downloaded) but can't seem to restart my PC into bios settings. I have windows 10 and tried going in through the advanced settings to see if I could flash the update from my USB stick, but when the computer restarts it just sits at a black screen until I restart it again and let it open normally.

dave39

Well I was up to 1am but I got everything updated now. Sadly, the GPU is still hitting 100% utilization most of the time. The RAM and CPU utilization are never hitting 100% now, but the RAM is still around 80% utilization on average... CPU is about 70% average while flying in game.

dave39

I should mention I am using graphic setting 6 in game, and reducing it to 5 (which system recommends) brings GPU into 90% average utilization. I thought WoW didn’t care much about GPU but this testing is showing otherwise.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I still think something is up with your system.

On gigiabyte motherboards, you press the delete key to enter bios, then you can use Qflash. You can also press the "end" button to enter Qflash directly to update the bios. If none of those work then you can reset cmos to hopefully get that functionality back. To reset cmos, do the following.

1. Remove power cord from power supply.
2. Remove Cmos battery from motherboard.
3. Press and hold power button on case for 10 seconds to discharge any remaining power.
4. Wait 10 minutes.
5. Reinsert battery, reconnect power and try entering bios.

Please note, resetting cmos will remove any settings you had set in the bios beforehand.