Video Card High Temperature

skovdam

Hi.

Just bought a new CPU cooler cuz that was kinda to hot.. (Cooler Master Hyper T4)

I hoped it would lower down some Temp. in my case, most on my video card(NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (MSI))
Because it has allways been to high, im not the best at computer stuff and so..
but as far as i know it shoudn't be on 79-85° when im playing BF4.

I would really like some help to find out what i need or what i can do to make it better, so i wont have that high temp.

Thanks for the help !! :)

ninjabubbles3

First of all, a CPU cooler wont do anything at all to the GPU, and also, those temps are okay, but a little on the high side. What case do you have?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Yeah a CPU cooler won't change the temperature of the GPU. They're two different components. Make sure there's no dust in your GPU, but high temps in a PGU are acceptable.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
So what you are saying is that i can nothing do about this problem ?

I just told you, make sure there is no dust in your GPU heatsink. Also make sure there is proper airflow through your case.

StrangleHold

Staff member
85c is getting up there, but nothing to worry about unless its starts getting hotter. think 98c is the max for a 770. Some of the problem is the case has no side intake fan. The side intake really helps out video cards. Most have them placed right where they will blow on the video card, giving it fresh air.

The VCR King

If you want a case that does this^, get the CoolerMaster HAF 912 Advanced. It has a 140mm fan in the side but it has different mounting brackets for a 120mm fan or water cooler.

beers

Staff member
As stated, 79-85 isn't actually too horrific.

Are you using a reference card?

goranpaa

Hmm, for such an MSI card that have a great cooling ability this is quite high temperatures.

My MSI Radeon 270 X never get past + 50 Celsius even when running a benchmark for 1 hour. And then it's factory overclocked too.

As you say there are'nt any dust. There are some other problems that might be the cause:

1. You have a snakes nest of cables inside the case that act like "air brakes" for the case cooling.

Try to re route these to the sides of the case as much as you can and use some zip ties to keep the cables in place.

2. Your case is small and also have too small fans and these also may have a low air pressure?

Maybe you should replace the fans for more effective ones? Or just get a bigger case with 120 - 140 mm fans. The rear case exhaust fan or fans are the most important ones.

3. You might have got a strike of bad luck and got a card where the cooler are'nt seated properly? Or that the thermal paste for the GPU have gone bad in some way eventually.

It could be worth it to have the card tested in another computer. If you don't have the possibility yourself? Take the card to a computer service station for a test.

4. You might have a high room temperature? That will affect the case and hardware temperatures too.

Last edited: