Video card issues.

greggo2

I had an older gateway that I disassembled and put the guts into a new case with new power supply, more ram, new hsf, etc. Everything is working fine except I can not install a video card (AGP 8x)

Motherboard is gateways version of the intel d865glc,
P4 2.8 ghz
1.5 gb ram
320 gb hd
400 watt power supply (video card specs state 300 or greater is recommended)
Video card is VisionTek hd2600 pro AGP 512mb

I disabled the onboard video in the devise manager and in display adapters in the control panel, and I know it was disabled because when I tried to boot with the onboard port, I had to boot to last known good config. No settings to disable in bios, as the onboard is disabled when a card is inserted. AGP is selected as primary video source.

Whenever I try to boot with the new card, or a known good AGP 64 mb card that I have, I get nothing but a black screen.

Help:confused:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Is the computer doing anything when you boot with an AGP card in? Any activity aside from fans? Any beeps (including the POST beep) or windows sounds?

greggo2

Is the computer doing anything when you boot with an AGP card in? Any activity aside from fans? Any beeps (including the POST beep) or windows sounds?

I hear the beep (just one), and it seems to be booting up normally, I just can't see anything. As for windows sounds, I don't get any, because It first goes to the user login screen, and no sounds play until I am able to click on my username.

Last edited:

Real Joker

This sounds very much like the problem I'm having today. But my computer doesn't have an onboard vid device. I'm trying to go from a defective NVidia 6200 to a Radeon HD 2600 Pro. Whenever I try booting up with the Radeon all I get is a black screen. The old card is the one I posted about a while back.

http://www.computerforum.com/165839-monitor-shutting-down.html

Today it just stopped letting me use it at all. The only way I'm able to use the computer right now is in safe mode. If I try booting up normally I'm lucky to see my desktop before it cuts out.

Last edited:

greggo2

I think it's a power supply issue.

Was working on this again over the weekend, and got a red light on the motherboard, which research tells me is a low power warning. Then the system just wouldn't turn on. I would get a green led on the case, but no fans or any other power. It would work with my old power supply, but that won't fit in my case. I returned the bad supply, and am waitint for a new one to come in. Will post results.

greggo2

OK, got the new power supply, but I am having the same issues with the card. the system will boot, and windows will load, and I even here the "click" sound(not sure what else to call it) that windows makes when new hardware is found. But the screen is black throughout all of this. I don't even get the gateway splash screen that says press F2 to enter setup. Nothing at all.:confused:

greggo2

All Set!!!

:D Turns out it was the video card itself that was bad. New power supply probablly helped too, but I am up and running with the new card. :D:D