Video card memory type?

Akosarz

I was looking at a video card and noticed that its memory type is GDDR3. There is no similarity between this memory type and ram memory type is there? Im asking because my motherboard supports only ddr2 memory. I dont think it matters but I want to be sure. Thanks!

anil099

if you don't know that...then I advise you don't build a computer by yourself.

Your welcome dumbass

(mods dont ban me i know this guy im just busting his balls..feel free to answer his questions)

Bodaggit23

I was looking at a video card and noticed that its memory type is GDDR3. There is no similarity between this memory type and ram memory type is there? Im asking because my motherboard supports only ddr2 memory. I dont think it matters but I want to be sure. Thanks!

Video card memory is a step behind pc memory so to speak, in that GDDR3 is most like DDR2.
It has much the same technological base as DDR2
Read more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDDR3

The type of memory on the card has nothing to do with the memory that the board requires.

fmw

To answer your question, it is the graphics card that needs to support the type of graphics memory, not the mainboard. The mainboard is only concerned about the RAM you install in its memory slots.