Video card not supporting doom 3

C_Man

I installed doom 3 on my comp and when I went to play it said my video card wasnt supported. The minimum requirments for the video card is 64mb. I have a nvidia geforce 2 mx400 card that has 64mb sdram. I am not looking for much here but just enough to have the game going smooth. Should I upgrade to a card with 128mb ddr2? Will that have no problems playing the game?

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dude that card is ancient!

Imo your just wasting your time trying to get it to work as i doubt it will play very good.

Your best bet is to try and get a cheap card from Ebay thats better than what you have.

Come to think of it though...i have doom 3,and tried it on my HD4890,max settings and it looked horrible....where as i remember playing it on my ati 9600 pro and it looked realy good.

TFT

VIP Member
Specs does not include your series.

Lowest supported GPU is a Geforce 4 MX (worse than Geforce 3).
Supported cards:
GF 4 MX.
GF 3.
GF 4.
GF FX (and higher).
Radeon 8500s, 9000s and higher

Damascus

The reason is that you're using a Direct X 8.0 card... Direct X 8.1 (the real DX8 cards) support hardware T&L and better pixel shaders. The same is with the Geforce 4 MX cards, even though they are a "4" series, they still are slower than the Geforce 3 Ti cards, and even the Geforce 2 GTS !!
Doom 3 is a Direct X 9 game, so you at least need a "real" DX8 card just to be able to play it...
If I were you, I'd look into buying a card in the Geforce 6800 series or better, or Radeon x800/x1800 series or better - IF I were on a seriously tight budget and didn't play many games.
IF you have a fairly fast CPU (by fast I mean single core Athlon 64, Pentium 4 3.2GHz or better), you could upgrade to a fast AGP graphics card (you obviously can't get a PCI-Express card unless you upgrade your motherboard) like the Radeon HD 3850. Then you could play any game on the market right now, including Crysis, but as mentioned, the rest of your system must be up to the task.
Bottom line, throw that Geforce 2 MX in the trash, it's worthless. I have an old Geforce 4 Ti4600 128MB DDR AGP8X card and an old Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB card I can sell for cheap that'll run that game. E-mail me if you need to.

C_Man

I am looking into best buy because they have a geforce fx 5200 for $35. That should be just fine right?

linkin

VIP Member
If you can, get an Ati Radeon X1650 Pro. the AGP version.
Mine maxed doom 3 on 1024x768 resolution with 6x AA and 16x AF enabled on this:
Pentium 4 2.66ghz
768mb DDR RAM
I was getting 60+ FPS
If you can't find it, get any of these:
GeForce 6600GT, GeForce 7800GT, GeForce 7600Gt, Radeon X1950 Pro, FX5800.
Your powersupply may not be able to handle tham though.
Don't get a card that can barely play it on 800x600 with low settings... eg: the FX5200

jeremyp

the requirements lie! on juiced 2 it says it requires a 7600gs... I have a 9300 and cant play it at its lowest resolution

linkin

VIP Member
the requirements lie! on juiced 2 it says it requires a 7600gs... I have a 9300 and cant play it at its lowest resolution

You have a laptop.
this the case for most laptops:
"Laptop versions of these cards may work but are not supported"