Video card not working for some reason.

M1kkelZR

hey all,

my uncle gave me this pc because its dead according to him. i got the CPU and power supply running. HDD working fine, but when i plug a monitor in it wont do anything. it has an OnBoard Nvidia Graphics and i have an MSI PCIe one. ive tried both but nothing happens...

i dont know the model of the PC or Nvidia chipset so that sucks.
if this helps here are a few specs i know of:
320GB HDD
2GB Ram
AMD Athlon 64 LE 1600
Vista Basic

thanks in advance

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What happened to the machine when he had it? Have you tried resetting the cmos by taking the cmos battery out?

M1kkelZR

well im not sure what happened. he just told me that one day it worked fine the next it wont show anything on the monitor. i havent tried the cmos battery yet, ill try that now.

nope didnt help a thing.
the screen says this when i plug it in:
RGB NO INPUT SIGNAL then turns the backlight off, the monitor works though as i use it as a second monitor on my laptop.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
First you need to unplug the power from power supply, remove the battery, press the power button on the case a few times to discharge any remaining power and then wait 5 minutes. Then insert battery and reconnect power and try booting up.

bratsos

Try to change with a another PSU the old PSU...
And if no luck, try to hear any alerts audio, form motherboard speaker.

If nothing hear every startup of machine, most of case, is a dead motherboard.

Usually if has issue with RAM or HDD or GPU, will generate a mobo alert sound...

Before try any from this steps, do this first :

Remove all no needed objects (floppy,hard disk,cd-dvd driver,and disabled if you know how, the mobo sound with a jumper. And Remove all cables attacked in to the mobo, from hhds, etc...
And then try to boot your computer with this minimal stuff.

M1kkelZR

well im not sure if the mobo is dead, because when i power on, de cpu gets power and everything gets powered on. just that the gfx cards wont do what they should

EIT: yeah the mobo is dead. so i might buy a mobo from a friend. for now im trying to remove the sock from this mobo and putting it in my old one so i can check the performance on the cpu.

Last edited: