Video Card problems

ckelly1

I'm building a computer and I have an Nvidia GeForce 9800 GX2 my friend gave me... I finished building it and when started it up, I could hear everything running and starting up, lights flashing for each part and then it dying. I took out the video card and replaced it with another one and it worked perfectly fine... Here's what I think is wrong:

1) Too little power.
I have a 800 Watt that I tried it with and this video card is a monster! I bought a 1100 watt supply and it still didn't work so...

2) Drivers and firmware
I installed the firmware with the other card in but I don't know about firmware

and finally...

3) Compatibility
I was sure it was compatible with my motherboard but I could be wrong...

I'll post my specs later...In the meantime, any ideas on what else could be wrong would be appreciated. Thanks!

blazin8556

maybe thats why he GAVE it to you. is the fan working? i see its an enclosed card from what im seeing on the internet.

Flaring Afro

It doesn't sound like a firmware problem to me. And theres no way that needs that much power. Also, if it fits in your mobo it fits in. I'd say the card is junk, which is why you were given it.

Springy182

A 9800GX2 has a TDP of 197W, it shouldnt even need more than a good quality 600W supply, power is definitely not the issue, check if the card is under warranty from the vendor.

jerry555

banned
If your system running windows xp, than it won't be a problem to install any Video Card. It automatically detect driver for Video Card. Or if problem occurs again. It seems that there is a mother broad error.

ckelly1

Fans working...

Here are my specs:
Asus P7P55D-E Motherboard, Intel Quad-Core i7-860, Rosewill RG700-S12 (which is I think 800W), OCZ 6GB RAM, and of course the Nvidia GeForce 9800 GX2...

I think the issue here is either firmware or compatibility. I see the lights and fans working in the video card so I don't think it's shot...