Video card problems?

Bananapie

So I recently built a computer, and my motherboard has onboard video.

The onboard video is the ATI Radeon 4250.
My videocard is the ATI Radeon 5770.

I have the video card seating properly, and an 8pin from power supply plugged into the 6 pin of the 5770. When it boots up though, it does not put an image on my monitor, but the onboard video does.

I looked in BIOS to see about disabling onboard video, and I couldn't find anything.

I did find though an Internal Graphics Mode which can be disabled... but in advance I googled that and I guess if you disable it, and something doesn't work the way you wanted it to... it could cause a huge problem.

I also disabled the onboard in the device manager in safe mode, rebooted and tried installing the ATI Catalyst driver program to get the 5770 but it said that the 4250 was installed successfully.

Any ideas?

deanj20

Bananapie said:
I did find though an Internal Graphics Mode which can be disabled... but in advance I googled that and I guess if you disable it, and something doesn't work the way you wanted it to... it could cause a huge problem.

Rubbish. Disable the onboard video. Hook the VGA (or whatever) up to your graphics card and reboot. If you still don't get video, you can reset CMOS by either moving the reset CMOS jumper over for five seconds and moving it back, or disconnecting the power and removing the CMOS battery from the mobo for five minutes.

Many mobos won't even look for a graphics card unless the onboard is disabled. ;)

Bananapie

I disabled the Internal Graphics Mode and it still wouldn't read my other video card. I reset the CMOS jumper and am back to start.

BUMP

Anyone helpp

Bananapie

Look in the bios and see if you have a video boot order. If so set it to PEG

I have a Primary Video Controller

The options are:
GFX0-PP-IGFX-PCI
GPP-GFX0-IGFX-PCI
PCI-GFX0-GPP-IGFX
IGFX-GFX0-GPP-PCI

I went through the BIOS and didn't see anything about video boot order.
mmm

Could it be that the video card is bad, though the fan/leds run?

Bananapie

Set it to GFX0-PP-IGFX-PCI. GFX0 is the PCIe X16 slot.

Do I have to set that, then disable the internal graphics mode? Or would setting that and saving/exit make it understand from the getgo?

I'll just have to see tonight after class. haha Would be such a relief if it worked.

StrangleHold

Staff member
If it boots and you dont have a disable onboard in the bios, just disable it in device manager. Setting it that way the bios just looks for a card in the PCIe slot first.

Edit

When you had the card installed and booted with the onboard video. Does the card show up in device manager. If not you could have a bad card or PCIe slot.

Last edited:

Bananapie

If it boots and you dont have a disable onboard in the bios, just disable it in device manager. Setting it that way the bios just looks for a card in the PCIe slot first.

Edit

When you had the card installed and booted with the onboard video. Does the card show up in device manager. If not you could have a bad card or PCIe slot.

No. I am beginning to think that it is a bad card... I tried putting it into both PCIe slots and regardless it doesn't show up on the Device Manager.

CardboardSword

this happened to me once before. your video card is missing some parts to the drivers.
put in the CD, reinstall, and then have a disk check/verify. worked for me.

Hope this helped!:):):):):)

StrangleHold

Staff member