Video card question

The VCR King

So my 6950 uses nearly 200 watts of power, uses two 6-pin pcie power cables, and has a clock speed of 830mhz.

Now, a $60 Radeon R7 250 uses just barely 60 watts, runs just off the power of the PCIE slot, and has a clock speed of 1.05gHz.

So, by that logic, since the cheap R7 has a higher clock speed than my "expensive" 6950, if I swapped my 6950 for an R7, I'd get better performance? Right?

Calin

That's like measuring CPU performance by it's speed
Exactly. It's only valid when both cards are based on the same architecture, have the same number of shaders, same memory bus etc. Basically everything else has to be the same before you can start comparing them by clockspeeds.

Deadpool

The best and only way to compare cards from different architectures are benchmarks. Once you are within the same architecture you can use specs to compare (not just clock speed, but all of them).

The problem with architecture is that it's not quantifiable, so you can't say like, "X architecture doubles the performance, so just double all the specs and you are good to go".

Laquer Head

So my 6950 uses nearly 200 watts of power, uses two 6-pin pcie power cables, and has a clock speed of 830mhz.

Now, a $60 Radeon R7 250 uses just barely 60 watts, runs just off the power of the PCIE slot, and has a clock speed of 1.05gHz.

So, by that logic, since the cheap R7 has a higher clock speed than my "expensive" 6950, if I swapped my 6950 for an R7, I'd get better performance? Right?

Just to clarify, whose logic are we going by on this one?

adrianuswibowo

Thats because you are comparing the wrong card. It was an r7 250 not a 370. Big difference between the 2.
thanks for correction but the result is same for the perfomance per watt and gaming experience R7 250 is better than hd 6950 beside the different capacity of memory bandwitch

beers

Staff member
thanks for correction but the result is same for the perfomance per watt and gaming experience R7 250 is better than hd 6950 beside the different capacity of memory bandwitch
Performance per watt may be better, but the 6950 has many more watts including additional hardware resources.

The 250 is around the same performance as a 7750.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r7-240-and-250,3717-7.html

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=6950+vs+7750&*
In terms of overall gaming performance, the graphical capabilities of the AMD Radeon HD 6950 are significantly better than the AMD Radeon HD 7750 VTX3D 1GB DDR3 Edition. ... The Radeon HD 6950 and the HD 7750 have the same core clock speed of 800 MHz, but the Radeon HD 6950 has 16 more Render Output Units than the HD 7750.