video card settings need advise

isaacual69

hello all, i just purchased my first pc game. its G.T.R2 well i never installed one before and its asking me after i installed it, about video configuration such as refresh rates, resolution, shader level, full sreen anti allasing ect...what do i put all these on?!? its running on a sckt 754 athlon 3200+, 2 gigs of kingston ddr333, and an Ati
x1600xt (AGP version) also, What should/could i put my cards settings on, i have no idea about anything like performance vs quality, but quality is kind of important, but i want to be able to play this game with no lag...any and all commments are thanked...

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Keep the resolution and refresh rate native to the monitor, if your monitor is LCD for example the most common would be 1280 x 1024 with a refresh rate of 60 hertz.. A CRT would have 75 hertz. As for the other settings your going to have to experiment with them for a good mix of performance and quality.

Anti-aliasing- reduces "jaggies". At higher modes the effects are more apparent.

Anisotropic filtering- raises quality of far away objects, as above the higher the mode the more apparent the effect.

Shader level- makes the game look better :)

There are going to be many other options, you are going to be able to change them from low, medium, high. Higher is better but may cause lag if you put them all to high.

isaacual69

thanks for the help, by the way, there are 2 other options 1) usa verticle sync
2)windowed mode

what r these for. thanks again for the input...if there is anything else that would be knowledgable please let meknow, thanks

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Windowed mode does just what it says, puts the game in a window so you can do other things on your computer at the same time.

Vertical sync matches the frame rate up to the refresh rate of your monitor.. basically it prevents the screen from "tearing". Tearing isn't that noticeable in the first place so this option isn't very important. :)