Video card upgrade...worthwhile?

dersteinmeister

Greetings all,

I have a desktop PC used mostly for gaming, and I'd like to get optimum graphics. Here are the current specs: Velocity Micro machine with Intel Core 2 Duo core E6600 processors at 2.4 GHz, dual 320 Gig hard drives, 4 GB RAM and GeForce 7950 GT video card, operating under Windows Vista. Monitor is an LCD with 2 msec refresh rate.

I'm considering a high end video card, such as the NVivia 8800 GTX. Would that video card upgrade be worthwhile, or is my system limited by other components, such as the processor? I'm new at this, so would appreciate any ideas. Thanks.
:)

Styrak

I say go for it. The processor may be limited in the FUTURE future, but not with current games. (Not to mention the graphics cards will also be limiting with FUTURE future games, but that happens with any hardware)

This is if you have the money of course, and don't mind paying an exorbitant amount of money on a video card.

Last edited:

Kornowski

VIP Member
Wow! E6600 and 4GB of RAM.

There's a trend with people now and having insane amounts of RAM!

Anyway, None of the things in your PC will hold you back... an 8800 GTX would be better than the card you have now, but the one you have now is still a great card, why don't you wait a while untill it's needed.

The only thing that may be a problem is the PSU in your computer,
What is it and what are the specs?

Buy-it PC

Greetings all,

I have a desktop PC used mostly for gaming, and I'd like to get optimum graphics. Here are the current specs: Velocity Micro machine with Intel Core 2 Duo core E6600 processors at 2.4 GHz, dual 320 Gig hard drives, 4 GB RAM and GeForce 7950 GT video card, operating under Windows Vista. Monitor is an LCD with 2 msec refresh rate.

I'm considering a high end video card, such as the NVivia 8800 GTX. Would that video card upgrade be worthwhile, or is my system limited by other components, such as the processor? I'm new at this, so would appreciate any ideas. Thanks.
:)

First off, the 7950 GT could be either three different cards...

nVidia GeForce 7950GT 512MB 2DVI/TV-out HDCP PCI-Express Video Card

nVidia GeForce 7950GT 512MB Extreme 570MHz 2DVI/TV-out HDCP PCI-Express Video Card
nVidia GeForce 7950GT Extreme 256MB GDDR3 2DVI/HDTV PCI-Express Video Card

Actually the manufacture of these cards above are from XFX - which really means nothing really... it could be from BFG, EVGA, Giggabyte, MSI, just to name a few.

So, depending on the amount of memory you currently have on the existing vid card, then the upgrade is surely to assist you by far. I believe the NVivia 8800 GTX has 768MB GDDR3 - an excellent choice! I can do a nice price of this card for you in case you are interested at: $599.99 if no one is offering it to you at that price?

:D

Aero

gonna have to agree with all them...u have a sweet comp right now so by getting this card ud just make it better...those other components would not hold u back...lol go for it!!

elitehacker

I would hold off, I have a 7900GT now and its sufficient, so your 7950 is MORE than enough. The price of the 8800GTX will nose dive when the X2K series come out, and you can save yourself a lot of money if you wait just a few months. There aren't any games at the moment that absolutely REQUIRES a DX10 card. I'd say don't jump on the DX10 bandwagon just yet.