Video Card Upgrade

NerdyMatt

Hi,

Much appreciated whoever replys to this! :D

My specs are down the bottom and was looking at doing a slight upgrade to keep my comp being able to play the newer games coming out!

Have been out of the system building loop for a year or so...

Should i upgrade my 4gb of RAM to 8gb? or is this still overkill?

I wanna use my 9800gt for physx...im looking to spend 200-350 for a new card... what is the best bang for buck card these days?

Thanks in advance! :D

mx344

I would go with either a 5830 or a 5850, thats in that 300$ range.

Altho you might have to go nvidia if you want to use ur 9800gt for phyx.

If you want that 9800gt for phyx, then i would wait till newegg gets a new supply of 470's, they cost 350$ and above, which is at the top of your budget.

4gigs is still good, i use 3 gigs when gaming max, in crysis i use 3.25gigs, under normal use, 1.1gigs.

8 is overkill for a gaming rig atm.

linkin

VIP Member
there are ways of using an nvidia card with an ati card for physx... it can get complicated though, you may have to edit a lot of files...

use google ;)

NerdyMatt

Thanks guys for the reply!

Only prob is im from australia and all our the gfx card are way over priced vs whats use boys pay for on newegg. Australian dollar is .92c vs the American Dollar.

5850 is ~ 400

gtx260 is ~ 300

gtx 275 ~ 350 ish.

Thats the pricing from the stores around my house!, anyone here australian and know of a good site to buy off of?

One other question. Will i notice much difference in fps having one card dedicated to physx or is it worthless?

Thanks tones for the help :D

joh06937

there are ways of using an nvidia card with an ati card for physx... it can get complicated though, you may have to edit a lot of files...

use google ;)

i personally would try doing that if you can manage to get a cheap/moderately cheap hd 5850. i wish i had the money to get a physx card and try it out...

Hsv_Man

anyone here australian and know of a good site to buy off of?

you could check mwave make sure you go .au other than that all i know of is sydney based companies not sure if they transport all the way across to WA and if they do you would be paying the $$$.

NerdyMatt

Thanks tones guys

finally the owner of a 5850! cant wait to throw that bad boy in there!

Seeing im just running a standard antec 900 case, when i try a put a 5850 and a 9800gt will the temps rise much? Will i have to throw some aftermarket cooler/fan in there?

Big thanks for pointing me in the direction of the 5850 :D