video editing station - new build

slickuser

New Member
I am trying to build a new system for video editing station.
This is my first time. Can you guys help me filled up the rest of the item or give suggestions?

Thanks...



# computer case

# atx power supply

# motherboard

# processor (cpu)
Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550

# heat sink

# memory (ram)
4GB

* optical drive

# hard drive
1TB
1TB/200GB

* screwdriver

# case and processor fans

# operating system
Windows Vista Ultimate

# peripherals

# Software
Adobe CS3 Master Collection

# Monitor
19" LCD
 
I'm newbie.. so I am clueless to this.

I was looking @ gamepc dot com and try to configure my system.. came out to be 4K .. too expensive

I want to stay 1.5K or below.

Exclude the price for these items, these I already got and bought.
Windows Vista Ultimate
Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550
Adobe CS3 Master Collection

I want a good video editing station. I just need to know what the must have list.. i don't care about over clocking or fancy LED case.
 
Nigouki,

Why do I need to get two HP 375870-B21 72GB 15000 RPM Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) Hard Drive?

It's expensive. Can't I just get regular 1TB of HD @ 72000 RPM?
 
cohen:
I am trying to stay under $1,500 budget.

These are already paid for:
Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550
Windows Vista Ultimate
Adobe CS3 Master Collection

From the US.
 
cohen:
I am trying to stay under $1,500 budget.

These are already paid for:
Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550
Windows Vista Ultimate
Adobe CS3 Master Collection

From the US.

Awesome, i'll do a build in around half an hour when i get home.
 
Ok here it is:

CASE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119138
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129025 <-i would go for this one

MOTHERBOARD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131232
you can SLI later need be

RAID CARD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115027

RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098
Best RAM on the egg. You might want 2 of these sets <assuming you have a 64 bit OS>

FAST @$$ HARD DRIVES
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136260
Get two of these, put these in raid

I'm not familiar with video editing video cards, someone else can help you there:D
 
^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's going to cost a bit less under your budget. It depends on which case you get, and which vdieo card you chose. It's more than 1100 though.
 
Well, for video editing you'll need lots of RAM (at least 2 GB, but recommended is more than 4), an 64-bit operating system (if you have above like 3.5 GB RAM), 200 GB disk space should be all right, a powerful video card (best would be if OpenGL compatible for After Effects; not all cards OpenGL compatible are AfterFX compatible; look on the Adobe website for a list).
But the Adobe Master collection suite costs US$2,499 (looked on adobe's website) way above your budget, so unless you already have it you need far more money than you already have.
As operating system xp would be best choice, because in video editing you'll need all the RAM memory you can get out of your system, and in vista at least 1 gb is wasted with the useless processes it has.
 
Vizy93, cohen: thanks

chibicitiberiu:
I don't factor CPU, Adobe CS3 Master Collection, & Vista Ultimate since I got it already.
 
cohen:
I am trying to stay under $1,500 budget.

These are already paid for:
Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550
Windows Vista Ultimate
Adobe CS3 Master Collection

From the US.

Awesome, i'll do a build in around half an hour when i get home.

Alright, Here we go:


Total - No Rebates - $979.93
Total - After rebates - $849.93
Total saving with rebates - $130.00

This will be very nice, good motherboard, and some good ram. Good video card as well, a big Power supply and a good and big hard drive.
 
:eek:
Well, for video editing you'll need lots of RAM (at least 2 GB, but recommended is more than 4), an 64-bit operating system (if you have above like 3.5 GB RAM), 200 GB disk space should be all right, a powerful video card (best would be if OpenGL compatible for After Effects; not all cards OpenGL compatible are AfterFX compatible; look on the Adobe website for a list).
But the Adobe Master collection suite costs US$2,499 (looked on adobe's website) way above your budget, so unless you already have it you need far more money than you already have.
As operating system xp would be best choice, because in video editing you'll need all the RAM memory you can get out of your system, and in vista at least 1 gb is wasted with the useless processes it has.

If you already have the software, and the computer is your only problem then it's a no brainer, but as for the suggestion made earlier if your computer is so ram intensive? then you may want to have ram with higher frequency over 1066 I recommend 2133 if you can afford 50-100$ more for the ram and find a motherboard that'll use it to it's full potential.
 
Here is the final build, any other suggestions before I order the parts?

# processor (cpu)
Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550 (own)

# operating system
Windows Vista Ultimate (own)

# Software
Adobe CS3 Master Collection (own)

# motherboard
ASUS P5N-T Deluxe LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard $209.99 MIR $184

# memory ( 4GB ram)
OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory $109.99 MIR $94.99

# video card
SAPPHIRE 100247L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card $279.99 MIR $259.99

# atx power supply
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V Power Supply 100 - 240 V - $114.99 MIR $79.99

# hard drive
2 x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $74.99 $148.98

# computer case
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $119.99 MIR $79.99

# Monitor 22" LCD
Acer AL2216Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor with HDCP support 300 cd/m2 700:1 $199.99

* optical drive combo DVD+-RW/CD+-RW
HP Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe $29.99

# Keyboard
HP GM321AA Black 104 Normal Keys 12 Function Keys USB Standard Multimedia Keyboard $19.99

Mouse:
Microsoft B7G-00004 Black 5 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Laser Mouse 6000 $29.99

# processor fans
??
# heat sink
??
# peripherals
??
* screwdriver


total so far: 1263.89
 
Why are you getting a 3D gaming card for a video editing workstation? And why are you getting an SLI board if you only have one graphics card and it's not SLI-capable? This build makes no sense!
 
Why are you getting a 3D gaming card for a video editing workstation? And why are you getting an SLI board if you only have one graphics card and it's not SLI-capable? This build makes no sense!

He can always upgrade graphics cards in the future.

A good gaming card is a good editting card.

So he is fine with it.

I say go with it.
 
Back
Top