Video games stutter/are choppy despite high FPS ! :(

Exoclap

• I have been having a really annoying problem that is making my hair turn grey. For those of you who will actually read what I'm trying to say I thank you and I appreciate every single answer that you guys will provide me with ! At the end of my rambling I will include a Youtube video so you guys can get a general idea of what I'm talking about. At this point I'm willing to try almost anything to solve this problem.

• The issue that I'm having is that in basically every game (2d, 3d, really old games, new games etc...) I experience these small constant stutters which makes the movement of the camera choppy/stuttery and it just does not play buttery smooth like it should've. The funny thing is that my FPS is constantly above 60. It is fluctuating of course up and down from time to time but it never dips below 60 FPS.

• So far I've played multiple games like Dishonored 2, Cuphead, Ori, CoD series, Bioshock and despite really good FPS in all of those games I still get this issue. It does help a little bit if V-Sync is turned on but I cannot handle the input lag that I get from my mouse because of it. After all, the issue is still there even if its turned on but its slightly less noticeable.

• Now I do not know if this ties with anything but I have been having horrible performance as well when watching Twitch streams or Youtube videos in general. The gameplay that I see on these platforms is really stuttery and choppy with minor freezes here and there which you will see in the video.

• Honestly I really do not know what to do at this point, this has been happening since I got this first new computer. So without rambling and making a huge wall of text please do ask me if you need to know anything else in order to help me. Overall these games do not run like they should. When I'm playing them it seems like I get below 50-40 fps even though my actual FPS is usually above 80 in the mentioned games.

• YOUTUBE VIDEO OF THE ISSUE PLS WATCH EVERYTHING (it is a little bit less noticeable but you will see what I mean)

• PC SPECS
- ASUS GTX 970 STRIX 4GB OC EDITION
- Intel core i5 4690K quad core
- MSI Gaming 5 Z97 mobo
- 1x8 GB HyperX Fury 1866 Mhz DDR3
- Corsair CX600 PSU
- WD Blue 1TB HDD

Calin

What's the RAM usage like? I'd add another stick of RAM. 8GB isn't enough for hardcore games these days. I've seen Battlefield 1 use around 8.5GB on my PC at times. And on top of that, you're running single channel aswell.

Exoclap

What's the RAM usage like? I'd add another stick of RAM. 8GB isn't enough for hardcore games these days. I've seen Battlefield 1 use around 8.5GB on my PC at times. And on top of that, you're running single channel aswell.

The RAM usage in all of the games is at around 3-5 GB. I'm not really playing hardcore games just those that I mentioned that require 5GB or less of RAM. I could buy another stick of RAM but will that really help me ?

Darren

Staff member
When did this start and what OS are you using? I've heard a lot of complaints about stuttering and similar issues to what you describe on the latest Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update on Nvidia card. I had this going on some with my 1080, especially black screening issues. What driver version are you on?

Edit: Just saw you've had this since you got the computer initially. In that case I'd suspect a RAM or motherboard config issue. Have you disabled HPET in the BIOS?

Calin

What are the GPU and CPU temps under full load?
Also, that CX600 is known for failing a lot. I know it seems unlikely but perhaps there are some voltage droops causing the stutters. I'd personally change it out, even if it's not the cause of the issue, just to be safe.

Darren

Staff member
What are the GPU and CPU temps under full load?
Also, that CX600 is known for failing a lot. I know it seems unlikely but perhaps there are some voltage droops causing the stutters. I'd personally change it out, even if it's not the cause of the issue, just to be safe.

Source please. I use CX600's in builds all the time, including my own. Not a single one has failed in 6+ builds over the course of the past 6 years. One had a fan that started rattling but it quit after a while. They're notoriously pretty solid power supplies for the price.

Calin

Source please. I use CX600's in builds all the time, including my own. Not a single one has failed in 6+ builds over the course of the past 6 years. One had a fan that started rattling but it quit after a while. They're notoriously pretty solid power supplies for the price.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2817962/bad-corsair-psu.html
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3147778/bad-corsair-psus.html
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/2005956-Are-Corsair-CX-PSU-s-really-that-bad
http://www.overclock.net/t/1415677/whats-exactly-the-problem-with-corsairs-cx-psus
Or just google "corsair cx psus bad"

Darren

Staff member
A bunch of forum posts with people saying they're not good without much evidence doesn't do you much good. They never claimed to be high end PSU's but suggesting somebody needs to drop $100 on a new PSU "just in case" is simply bad advise if you don't know the actual cause of their problem. That system hardly even stresses that PSU. Not saying the PSU couldn't be the culprit, but making blanket statements without knowing what's going on is not a good way to troubleshoot. Particularly since you can actually check if you're getting voltage fluctuation via HWInfo. The fact that his FPS remains high also makes me think it's not a power delivery issue.

I know they're not the highest end PSU's and are likely more prone to failure than higher end Corsair's but saying "they fail a lot" isn't really true, particularly when they're better than a lot of similarly priced PSU's from crappy brands. On the anecdotal side I ran my 8320 and R9 390 overclocked to the moon and never had any power issues. I even ran a 7990 off one for a few days (although my lights did start flickering)

Calin

You can find a lot of these posts by just googling "corsair cx psus bad", but if you google "Seasonic psus bad" you won't find many people complaining about them, if any at all. Just do some research. I was going to buy the CX600 myself 3 years ago but a lot of people who had more experience than I did back then told me not to do it so I didn't do it and after doing some research myself I came to the conclusion that they were right. There are even pardy videos regarding the CX series on Youtube, I wonder why there are no parody videos regarding Seasonic or Super Flower PSUs. Just because yours hasn't failed yet doesn't mean it won't in the future or that other units won't.

Most of these units sold are still working today but compared to other PSUs from popular brands, their failure rate is higher.

Darren

Staff member
I'm more pointing out your problem solving/troubleshooting is flawed. I've seen articles about them not being ultra high quality either, and I'm not butthurt you're saying they're not the best PSU on the planet . It's just that your assumption that "oh you have a CX600 so that must be the problem, and if it isn't oh well not my money" isn't the way to go here. Also review counts on Newegg and Amazon don't lie pretty much every CX model I can find is 4 stars or higher. By sheer stats these units typically do a good job. Also somewhat depends on the version because they made several different variants, I know my second CX600M made more amps than my CX600 it replaced (because of the fan).

And like I said it doesn't even correlate that's the issue, his framerate is staying high and that system is pulling maybe half of the PSU's capabilities. Something else is up.

Darren

Staff member
You're recommending him spend money on something that is likely not a solution and a needless waste of cash. That's my issue, I think I've made my point. :)

Calin

I said that's what I would personally do if I was the owner of that system (so that I won't have issues in the future), and I still stand by that but it doesn't mean he can't get away with it or that other people will do the same. Anyway, let's end this discussion now and hope he solves his problem.